Hot Rod Forum banner

Self fusing silicon tape - anybody tried it?

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  hinklejd 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have used it on the hickory shaft of my favorite hammer. It takes a little practice to stretch it just enough as you apply it. It will break if you stretch it too much. It has not unraveled at all so I would give the product a thumbs up. I also used it on a drain pipe under my washer that used to drip slightly. It worked fine there as well. I haven't used it on anything else at the moment but I'm glad I have it for emergency repairs.

I don't think it would work for fan belts since it stretches but it could be used to temporarily stop a coolant hose leak.

#3 ·
I have been using it for a few things around the shop, It tapes up wiring pretty good, especially where branch circuits come out of a split wire loom. I bought 3 rolls at a show, I couldn't resist buying some after the pretty sales girl's demonstration, and her willing cooperation to do the demonstration a second time.

(she wrapped a piece around my finger...and then pulled it off. )

Later,
Mikey

#6 ·
Self-amalgamating tape, tommy tape, rig-wrap etc.

It's standard issue on any boat especially sailboats. We use it all the time primarily for chafe protection for the sails but often to bind things together, it's the only tape I would use on a boat, nothing else will stay on in conditions like these--
http://www.volvooceanrace.tv/page/FeatureDetail/0,,12573~1603923,00.html

Never used it as a makeshift fan belt though, I would think it would be tough to get it to bind together as it has to be stretched and have pressure on itself to stick. It would be fine where it was lying on the pulleys but not in-between.

Be a lot easier to carry a spare belt!!

#7 ·
Large diameter bungee cord got me 100 miles once, its all the local hardware store open on the Sunday had when I was stuck in a small town. I just tied a simple knot in it and got home fine, it worked amazingly well and was hardly worn from running at highway speeds on the alternator/water pump.

#9 ·
I've used that same style tape on electrical wiring where chafing was an issue, air conditioning ducts that needed just a little bit of help, and leaking radiator hoses.

I don't doubt that it would work as a temporary fan belt in a pinch (like just to the next town) but like all temp fixes, it needs to be permanentely fixed as soon as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.