Self-Teaching Engine Computer Programs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2003, 12:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Self-Teaching Engine Computer Programs

Are there any programs or even games out there that teach about engines horespower how to tweak them, or anything like that. I am a senior in high school with no job and four periods(2 of which are welding). So I have a lot of time on my hands which is mostly spent on the computer. I like researching anyhting about hot rods, history technical anythign. I love going to How Stuff Works and seeing how individual parts of the car work. I just like finding stuff out. Is there any programs (freeware or software) available that might fill some time?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2003, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

Yes there is lots of stuff out there that do similulations, first one that comes to mind is nascar 2000 or later version for pc.teaches race car set up and handling. are you going to be a welder?

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: ronb ]</p>
Old 01-12-2003, 12:46 PM

I enjoy welding, but I am just taking the coarses so I can do my own welding. It's fun. But not that fun.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

I have been welding for 20 yrs now! you will not get rich unless you are in buisness for yourself? but you can make a decent living in it! and it doe`s come in handy for personal projects.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Your time would be better spent in the auto shop actually doing some work instead of "playing" around on the computer, ask your shops teacher about joining another class so you could be wrenching instead of playing. When I was in HS I also had spare periods followed by another class and I asked my auto shop teacher for access to his other classes so I could keep myself busy. He was surprised that a teenager actually wanted to learn and even let me help teach others in his classes about cars and get their hands dirty. You will learn more by doing than reading although studying is necessary too.

Computer simulations are for fun but you will learn very little playing with them except their software limitations. Forget the toys and start wrenching...hard work will get you a job and valuble knowledge that will help you later in life, computer simulations will not get you farther in life. Books are a better source of info for engine related info anyway.

Spend your time wisely in school and you will be the one laughing at the end...don't stop learning. Sorry if this is harsh but it's better you learn now instead of having to look for a job and your only experience is "playing" on the computer.

There are plenty of wannabes in the unemployment line.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

I totally agree 4Jaw I started when I was a young lad in my Grandfathers and dad's garage then pick up some in highschool. went into the military and went to college while in the service.When I got out the only job I could find was at a garage.I am really glad that I learn that while I was young it gave me something to fall back on while I was looking for a job for what I trained for in college.
I still turn wrenches but now it is a hobby.There is nothing that is better then hands on training it will stay with you longer and give you an extra skill in life that you will be glad you know
Old 01-12-2003, 03:07 PM

I'd love to do that. But my HS sux so much ballz. All we have is a autobody shop, he won't let you do anything else besides body work. Last year some kid got put in the hospital because the hydraulic ram that pulls out dents had the hook pull of the body part and hit the kid in the back. Now the autobody teeacher is totally safety oriented, was before, but now 1/4 days are spent on safety. One day is spent on working on powerpoint presentations of your project. So you only get about 3 hours a week to work on you project. Powerpoint because is ROP class. I wish they would bring back a auto shop to our school. I know welding is only profittable in a fulltime area. But I am just doing it to help on my personal projects and helping friends. Because I know I will be welding something together for a car for the rest of my life.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.