Sell my car to this guy? Need some input guys... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Sell my car to this guy? Need some input guys...

SO anyway last night was a weird one. I met a guy through one of my friends. Get to talking and turns out this guy is a pretty hardcore hotrodder. You could tell he'd done most of his learning through word-of-mouth, because he didn't seem totally informed. We got bickering about a couple of things. He tried to tell me that aluminum heads always flow better than iron, which is just flat out untrue, it doesn't matter what the material is, its the shape that influences flow. He couldn't believe it when I told him that given the heat-sinking properties of aluminum, two exact heads, aluminum and iron, the iron woudl make more power, every time. Beside the point really, we all know aluminum is a desireable material.

Anyway, I go out to my car and he looks it over, tells me that his friend used to have an 81 with the same interior, and that his wife has big money and is in need of a repica of this guys old 81 by christmas. He gave me his business card, I guess we'll see.

SO I have 3 in the motor and bought the car a couple of years ago for 4. If I was serious about selling the ride.... what should I ask for it?

Car is spotless front to back, original paint and interior, 70,000 miles. I do have a lot of sentimenal value in the car, but there's a fine line between sentiment and foolishness. It is, after all, a second gen firebird. These aren't rare cars. If somebody offers me serious, big money for it. I should take it.

Input?

K

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 10:48 AM

Last journal entry: The floor going in
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

if he wants the car that bad and you can sell it for a profit i would sell,but then on the other hand do you want to sell it ?
say a good price and if he wants it let him have it
Old 10-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Tired old shiftworker

Last photo:

It's all a matter of what you want. Are you looking for a dream care or another project to work on?

You are right as 2nd generation Firebirds are not high on the desire\rare list (for some people) but if it's low miles and clean it is still a valuable car. Sometimes you get lucky and find that person that will over-pay for your ride and that might be a sign to let her go and move on to bigger and better things.

Take a look on line and see what prices are going for on a similar car if you can find it. Good luck...
Old 10-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Cmon Killer,you're a smart guy.You know what you want to do already.You just gotta have some kind of ride by the time the HR Nats come around.

I have had two 2nd gen Camaros,loved driving them,loved the way it felt inside,the seats,dash layout,console,but they rotted real bad and one caught fire.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

All depends on your mood for the day....

do you want to start something new or are you going to drive what you've got for a while longer? Make sure you have something in mind or just don't sell. Lately I just keep running into one project after another with out time to sell anything in between??? My 3 car garage and both car ports are FULL and I have one parked under a tree waiting its turn in the garage. I'm not to sure I like being a collector....no I know I don't like being a collector!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well I'll give the dood a call but I'm not going to hold my breath. If he's willing to pay me 9 or 10 g's for the car, he can have it, I could go find an old school muscle car in pretty great shape for that amount of coin.

Looked on ebay and one guy has a forumla like mine (78, however) that's going for 7k right now, but he wants 12 for it!? lol, you can tell the tach doesn't work in the thing because its pegged, he's got some aftermarket steeringwheel in it and whatnot. Makes you think I guess.

Going into this project I knew I was building the car for myself. I took out hte stuff I didn't want, swapped the motor I wanted into it and haven't looked back. I figured why buy a car that I'm going to worry about keeping all original?

I'll call the guy, but I can pretty much figure that he's not going to want to spend the money that I have into this thing. We all know that you never build a car expecting to get your money back out of it.

K
Old 10-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You can always plan to loose money on cars unless you really get a great deal when buying it and have some cheap parts to put in it or you are building a real custom and are doing all the work. I would say if you have 7k in the car, you would be doing good to get 5-6k considering what it is but I could be wrong. I would tell him to make you an offer before you say anything. See what he comes back with and go from there.

Chris
Old 10-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

yeah in that case I would just keep it. I would have gotten my hard money out of it (all the little stuff I did to it would be a wash, and we all know that's a lot!) but it would also mean I basically spent all this time building and doing stuff that i wanted to this car just to have somebody pay me for the cost of it and drive it away! Ha ha, no thanks. I'll either make a few thousand profit or I will be the one to enjoy this new motor!

K
Old 10-23-2004, 06:23 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Dude don't sell it, you just got it finished. If you got ten g's for it the $3,000 profit will be enough compensation for your time spent but it won't make up for the attachment to the car.

Keep it.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:00 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:

Don't forget to pay the help.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
Dude don't sell it, you just got it finished. If you got ten g's for it the $3,000 profit will be enough compensation for your time spent but it won't make up for the attachment to the car.

Keep it.
Good call

Quote:
Don't forget to pay the help.

lol, maybe I'll just trade you even-up for the vette dude!

George and Mike have good points. I've got a lot of time, a broken hand, some good memories and good times working on it with good friends (you know who you are....)

Hotrodding isn't about profit, its about enjoyment.

Lesson learned-

K
Old 10-23-2004, 09:16 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

if you can get enough for the car to replace it with somthing you want and put it in the condition you want you could consider it but if you really dont have any motivation to sell then you would be better off to keep it
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Sell my car to this guy

No matter how much advice you get from well meaning friends, the bottom line is what do you want to do. I TRY not to get too hooked on cars I work on
but it doesn't usually work that way.ALMOST every vehicle I've ever sold I would think about later and wonder what I was thinking to let it go. Best thing I have found to do is go buy something that you want now.
Good Luck
Old 01-06-2006, 09:23 PM

No way

Dude, if you sell it (even with some profit) you will have bad dreams for years
Old 01-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again

Uhh guys, you might want to check out the date on this thread. Its a little old don't you think

And as far as I know, Killerformula still has the 'bird. Heck his neighbors hate the bird.

Brad

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.