Selling a street rod - What's the deal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Selling a street rod - What's the deal?

I've had my street rod for sale for 6+ weeks on three of the biggest online classified sites, and I have hardly had any interest at all. Maybe my asking price is a little high, but it's not unreasonable. I tried to base it off of what others are asking for a similar car and considering how much I have in it. I have also noticed a lot of the same cars on these sites for the last several months.

In the period of time it's been on sale, I played phone tag with one guy but never got up with him, and I have received two emails that went nowhere. I've only even gotten one scammer email. I've gotten about 20 calls from obvious brokers, but I don't count them.

What's going on? I know the economy isn't stellar, but it's improving. Is it the time of the year, my location, how I'm marketing it? Anyone that knows how to use google can find my ad in 30 seconds, if they are looking for my make and model.

I'm not desperate to get it sold, and I'm not going to give it away. I'm just really surprised by the lack of interest. It's a nice car and a desirable body style (or so I thought). What can I do to market it better? Am I being too impatient? Do I need to take it to shows?

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

no advise here either...

i have the same results.. i've gotten a few low ballers and told them to pack sand... i believe its the economy.. times are still shaky for a lot.. i'm not going to give mine away either. if i sell it fine if not thats ok too.. still runs like a champ, but just want something different after 13 yrs and 2 buckets.. hang in there..
short story: friend had a bucket, super charged, pro engine,trans, paint, interior.. just outstanding.. did not want to sell till a fella came to a show and threw a wod of money at him.. he wanted the car, no if's about it.. we were shocked..
he sold it...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

put it on ebay and see what happens . make sure you have a reserve.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Bill, I figured I would at least get some lowballs, but only one. One guy sent me an email saying "Would you take 31K?". I did some research, and the guy is apparently a legit car dealer. I politely declined and sent him some additional info on the car, but never heard back.

I was curious about taking it to shows. I'm not really big on them, but if it will get some good exposure, I would be willing to make it happen.

Killer, I've been following auctions for similar cars on ebay for months, and I rarely see a finished car sell for anything close to what I would accept. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but I don't have much faith in ebay.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

selling

your in an area of some large shows.. consider taking it to one. i go to ocean city maryland ea yr and there are something like 6000 cars.. i've had a lot of lookie lous there and enough of low ballers there too.. i love the jerks that tell me they can build one cheaper.. u sure can but i didn't... so bring it out next yr and i'll see what u built.. and i just walk away.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I just listed my 48 Anglia Thames Project for sale in the classifieds here, lots of lookers, probably mostly just passing the day by looking at cars for sale, I do that too,,
I feel my price is fair, its less than what I have spent to build it to this point, but it all boils down to " I don't really care if I sell it or not, so why should I lower my price and take a beating on it?
I think the money is just tight right now,, lots of people are still hurting from the economy bust,,
Good luck with the sale,, sombody out ther would like to have that car, but you don't have to give it away,, stick to your guns,,
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Mautofied.com - Modified and Custom Cars For Sale

I have been selling my inventory of old cars and the above Linc is the best way to go.
Myself and an employee have moved 9 cars since December on this forum, except one car I did put on Ebay and its half way to Australia as we speak.

Now the best trick if you really want to get top buck, is offer to trade up or down, with cash and vehicle thrown in, one case I took a new silverodo (1 year old) and 20,000 cash, wholesaled the truck the second day and made a killing.

Got a deal being done tonight, GTO trade for 2 Porsche's and $7200 cash.

The money is out there, you just need to be creative, as chances of some guy saying I want your 36 for 70,000, is few and far in-between, but maybe he has a two year old truck he needs to dump first.

Trade for things that can be sold real fast and can be financed, like trucks or newer cars and you will do well.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM

times are tough up here in canada also ,so sometimes it takes a bit more to sell a hotrod .i have seen people think about buying for quite some time and not act untill they see a car at a show.up here nothing mutch moves until the weather warms up and the salt is off the roads.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM

A guy left me a message earlier. I called him back, and he says, "Which one was it?" Then, I spend the next couple of minutes describing it before he finally remembers. He was obviously VERY interested...

Thanks for the tip Barry, but I really don't want to fool with trades, and that site appears to only search for cars 1940 and up. That might hurt the traffic on my '37.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Ford View Post
A guy left me a message earlier. I called him back, and he says, "Which one was it?" Then, I spend the next couple of minutes describing it before he finally remembers. He was obviously VERY interested...

Thanks for the tip Barry, but I really don't want to fool with trades, and that site appears to only search for cars 1940 and up. That might hurt the traffic on my '37.
Totally understand where you are coming from on the trades but something I have learned from this site, is there is a lot of money on this site and the people with the money, don't seem to have time or want to get involved with selling what they need to sell, to buy what they want.
I have been offered boats, motor cycles I have never heard of and worth more then most cars, you name it but I take what can be wholesaled or sold real quick.
They don't waste your time and the only negotiation is amount of cash, very short and easy, I have found.

Hopefully you have a sale going with your 37!!!!! Best of luck!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Ford View Post
Maybe my asking price is a little high,
bingo.

if you want the true value of your car, minus all the emotional value we put in them, list it on ebay with a $0.99 starting price.
the whole world will see your car on ebay, your car will sell for what the value of everyone in the world sees in it.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

"Would you take 31K?".

37 maybe your ride is trapped in the less than 40K zone. 25 to 40K is a tough price point, there are allot of decent wheels for sale at this price range. Above this 40K the thing needs to be a stand out, below 25 K is not an option.

Sell something else and enjoy what you got or dump it off at your best offer and be ready to cut the loss. (hopefully you fair better)

Some guys just park em and hedge their bets
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

sell it

37 Ford....its the economy. I have a bddy of mine that sells cars internationally. He's got one office in Florida and another in Michigan. He may be able to help you...he's moved several cars for me, a couple to foreign buyers. He will tell you what he thinks he can sell it for and ask you what you want out of it. Anything he makes over your selling price is his to keep or you can pay him a percentage. This isnt advertising for him by any means...he's an honest guy and he moved my stuff in a couple of weeks. He just has tons of contacts. If you want his info...P.M. me.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

selling

i'm wondering.. u live down the street from him.. but if u live a few hundred miles away, will the car need to be shipped to him or shipped from the owners address.. and how does he establish a price.. take the owners word or do a visit ???
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 AM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

it is a buyers market these days.
i wouldnt break even if i sold my car right now.
it wouldnt even cover the parts.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.