Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SEM Hotrod black "grit in it when sprayed"
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SEM Hotrod black "grit in it when sprayed"

The HOK satin black my paint guy sold my buddy exhibits the signs of old reducer, it is in fact SEM hotrod black in kit form a quart of black, 8 ounces of reducer and eight ounces of catalyst. The first coat I sprayed had the grittiness you get when using old reducer. The second coat, I used Nason medium urethane reducer, same story. Third try, SEM paint, Nason medium reducer and Nason ful thane hardener, same story. I know the Nason is good because it is what I used this weekend with the flattening compound fiasco that resulted in a flawless finish but too shiny, it did dull/flatten eventually but I don't think I can repeat those results as far as sheen. This has all been done on similarly prepared square gallon cans from reducer and SPI clear. Is it Iso clumping causing the problem with the SEM? Each application was on a different can. I did mix up Nason black and throw in some flattening compound just for grins and it sprayed out smooth and we'll see if it flattens.

Man,that's one long old paragraph.
Sorry about the rambling paragraph,
Chip.