semi forged, roller 468 long block worth $3800? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

semi forged, roller 468 long block worth $3800?

I was having my 468 big block built by a machine shop for $7k ready to run including parts and labor and dyno tuning. It has machined 781 heads with 2.18/1.88 valves installed, forged rods and pistons, 10:1cr and solid roller cam. I decided to not go through with it and wanted to build it myself so i asked for a refund and he said he can't because it's tied up in my engine and that if he fronted me the money that it would cause other projects to be short. So i asked if he could send what he had finished up to the $3800 that i have paid so far. If i can get the machined 468 block with semi forged bottem end, reworked 781 heads, and roller valvetrain for the $3800, do you think that's good? what do you guys think?

I was thinking of using the remaining $3200 on trans and rear end so i would have those done and ready to handle the power and then just finish the big block as i get money.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I'd think with the full valve train, basically a complete 468 long block, the price doesn't sound bad.

What do you mean by "semi forged" bottom end?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I'd think with the full valve train, basically a complete 468 long block, the price doesn't sound bad.

What do you mean by "semi forged" bottom end?
do you think the 468 long block would be worth around the $3800 with labor or would it be more than the $3800?

oh i just meant by "semi forged" that it has forged rods and pistons but not crank
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
More for Less Racer

My thoughts is that it doesn't matter, your going to get what is there so far and have to be happy with it. Good or fair price doesn't enter into it.

I know if you pulled that kind of deal with me as the machinist I wouldn't be tripping over myself to make you happy, you entered into a deal and now want to get out of it. You'd get what was there, if it came close to $3800 for parts and labor so far...it would be what you get. Might be less than a complete long block, like pushrods, or lifters, or rockers not there if the pre-payed amount so far wouldn't cover it and still cover my labor to that point.

And I'd make sure I added up EVERY minute spent with you or on your project, and likely tell you not to come back as a customer.

Kind of like telling a contractor that you don't want him to finish your new house after half the framing is up, he's not going to be happy as he now has to find another job to fill the void of your scheduled job.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
My thoughts is that it doesn't matter, your going to get what is there so far and have to be happy with it. Good or fair price doesn't enter into it.

I know if you pulled that kind of deal with me as the machinist I wouldn't be tripping over myself to make you happy, you entered into a deal and now want to get out of it. You'd get what was there, if it came close to $3800 for parts and labor so far...it would be what you get. Might be less than a complete long block, like pushrods, or lifters, or rockers not there if the pre-payed amount so far wouldn't cover it and still cover my labor to that point.

And I'd make sure I added up EVERY minute spent with you or on your project, and likely tell you not to come back as a customer.

Kind of like telling a contractor that you don't want him to finish your new house after half the framing is up, he's not going to be happy as he now has to find another job to fill the void of your scheduled job.
well it wouldn't of been my first choice to back out of the deal because i don't like doing that. I know it's not cool but I also have to look out for myself and It's not like he is giving me a refund anyway, he would still give me what he has so far so it would be like I paid him to build whatever the $3800 covers which i hope is a complete long block.

i guess i'm also wondering how much that would cover and it's gonna drive me nuts til he figures it out so i was wondering if you guys that work in a machine shop or build your own engines knew aprox. how much that $3800 would cover in this situation?

i would think that even with the labor of machining the block and heads, that the $3800 should cover a full or damn close long block

Last edited by Jason7504; 11-16-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 PM
More for Less Racer

Helping you figure it out would depend on what parts were uses, IE rod brand and type, piston brand and #, amount of work done to heads(Hard seats, guides replaced, cut for bigger valves, cut for bigger springs, cut for positive seals, needed to be milled flat, any hand blending of ports), amount of work done to block, bore and honed is a given, but decked?? line honed?? bored torque plate honed?? and pretty much brand and performance level of all parts like rings, bearings, T-chain, oil pump, crank, cam, etc.

Could be $2500, could be $5500 for the long block depending on what parts choice was used and wokr done to it. There can be a $800-1000 difference in price just on roller cam and lifter and pushrods brand and quality.

Posting a list of everything done machine-wise, and every part you would be getting is the only way you will get an answer that will have much relevance.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Helping you figure it out would depend on what parts were uses, IE rod brand and type, piston brand and #, amount of work done to heads(Hard seats, guides replaced, cut for bigger valves, cut for bigger springs, cut for positive seals, needed to be milled flat, any hand blending of ports), amount of work done to block, bore and honed is a given, but decked?? line honed?? bored torque plate honed?? and pretty much brand and performance level of all parts like rings, bearings, T-chain, oil pump, crank, cam, etc.

Could be $2500, could be $5500 for the long block depending on what parts choice was used and wokr done to it. There can be a $800-1000 difference in price just on roller cam and lifter and pushrods brand and quality.

Posting a list of everything done machine-wise, and every part you would be getting is the only way you will get an answer that will have much relevance.
well the rods are eagle forged, the crank is eagle cast steel, the pistons are SLP forged 10:1cr. the 781 heads had guides replaced with bronze guides, 3 angel valve job and cut for bigger valves, resurfaced with seas, cut for positive seals. not sure about the hand blending or hard seats.

aside from the block being bored and honed, it was also supposed to be magnifluxed, decked and thermal cleaned. He said also said bored and honed with plates.

HASTINGS POWER FLEX MOLY rings
CLEVITE ROD BRGS CB743P
CLEVITE MAINS MS829P
CAM BRGS CH12
EX PLUGS PE102R
OIL PUMP MELLING M77HV
INTERMEDIATE SHAFT IS77E
OIL SCREEN 305S
GASKETS FEL PRO 260-1009
DOUBLE ROW TIMING SET CLOYES C3024XSP
PUSH RODS
2.190-1.880 STAINLESS VALVE SET
HB454N HEAD BOLT SET
ARP BOLTS
Howards 285/285 .660 lift 112lsa solid roller cam w/ installation kit
Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 PM
More for Less Racer

Sounds like the $3800 figure would be in the area of fair to me with that list, as a rough guess. Could be up or down from there by $200-400 as a guess.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sounds like the $3800 figure would be in the area of fair to me with that list, as a rough guess. Could be up or down from there by $200-400 as a guess.
well i hope your right because i could live with a good long block because then adding the rest is pretty easy and can do it as i go.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

ok well the machine shop got back to me today with the break down and sounds like it would be a long block minus the cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, valve covers, oil pan or intake but would include the block with all the machining and balancing, the heads installed, the rotating assembly installed for the $3800. what do you think?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Like Eric said, it doesn't matter, what you get is what you got, not many options left, except what, leave it all there and walk away?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
Like Eric said, it doesn't matter, what you get is what you got, not many options left, except what, leave it all there and walk away?
oh no i know. i'm not saying i'm not gonna take it or dispute it but I'm just wondering if that's a fair price for what im getting.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 AM
More for Less Racer

Sounds like he is at least trying to be fair with you, seeing as it will be an assembled long block, with basically bolt-on stuff left to do.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sounds like he is at least trying to be fair with you, seeing as it will be an assembled long block, with basically bolt-on stuff left to do.
well it won't have valve train but it will be mostly a long block. yeah like I said, he's a really cool guy. Oh yeah and the $3800 also includes shipping

Last edited by Jason7504; 11-20-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Last photo:

here's his break down:

Parts and labor done

SRP forged pistons 535
Plasma moly rings 95
EAGLE 4.00 crank 315
Rod and main brgs 90
Block core 500
Bore and hone 180
Clean and prep 130
Deck block 100
Harmonic bal 85
Flex plate 30
Head cores 150
Labor on heads machine 400
Stainless valves 2.19-1.88 150
Springs and retainers,locks 120
Cam brgs 22
Ex plug kit 8
Conn rods forged w/arp 175
Balance assy 200
Arp head bolt set 80
Assembly short w/heads 225
Shipping 250

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.