Separating a stubborn lower ball joint taper - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If you're going to replace the ball joints anyway, use the BFH on the threaded end. Whack it outta there.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
If you're going to replace the ball joints anyway, use the BFH on the threaded end. Whack it outta there.
That would've, if I was sufficiently accurate with a hammer to whack in spite of all the obstructions, ended me up with the same problem I have now - damaged threads that would prevent removal of the nut I'm keeping on there to keep the frame from flying up under the tension of the suspension spring.

I'll have other castle nuts from other parted out cars, but do ball joints generally come with new castle nuts?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

hey slipangle, thanks for the response. i.ve had that problem with nuts on ball joints and tie rod ends. clamp the spindle and lower control arm together with vice grips, this will provide friction at the taper and allow you to remove the nut. when you remove the vice grips everything will fall apart.....OR..cut the nut off, if you got the spindle loose from the ball joint the hard part is done.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I always do'em like Techron does, but I like the tool that Mike posted the pic of. I'd say that between the two, you'll never have a problem. Will definitely keep the tool idea in mind 'cause sometimes they can be a real beotch!

This reminds me of the exploding ball joint that happened in the bay next to me. He was giving it a good blast of heat (to remove it from the control arm) when the grease met it's flashing point (my theory anyhow). That ball joint stud/shank shot out like a bullet, sounded like a shotgun and took a good sized chunk of concrete out of the floor. Almost caught him in the crotch on the way to the floor!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

If you have room, there's a variation on the BFH scheme that I saw an old dude do in a junkyard once. He took two similar-sized hammers and hit the spindle eye on opposite sides at the same time, while another guy put separating tension on the joint. I guess it gets more vibration on the spindle eye without tending to bend it so much. I've done it a couple of times, and I never had to hit one too terribly hard to get it to break loose.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

A 4 lb hammer to the side of the tapered socket will pop it every time and wont destroy the boot if you are reusing the parts. Forks are pretty much usless if you are planning on reusing the joints. We have also used an impact chissel with a flat hammering bit on stuborn ones. Beating on the top usually does nothing but make it tighter and ruining the threads. There are good puller type balljoint tools but I still like the hammer the best. 1 Solid whack will usually do the trick.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
A 4 lb hammer to the side of the tapered socket will pop it every time

No. It won't work EVERY time.

"Every" is an all inclusive word, meaning that there will NEVER be a time when a smack with a hammer will not dislodge a ball joint.

I have ALOT of experience with hammers...and ball joints...I learned that trick when I was 16 too, from an old mechanic who was generous enough to let a kid like me hang around his shop...like many of you..

There are times when that hammer trick will not work.

I've seen it happen, and had to deal with it. I am not a book taught idiot either.

I am posting like this because when you say that way with a hammer works EVERY time, you are saying that simple little 4 dollar tool that I shared is a waste of time and effort and totally unnecessary.

What do you do when the spindle is painted, or powder coated, and the car is a show car?

Do you still whip out the hammer?
I'll bet the guys who bring a finished car to you to work on are so happy to see smashed up paint on their suspension parts.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Mikey will tell you what he thinks.....EVERY time............ .....OK, most times

Budget RVs
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

This 4 pound hammer

is a little too heavy

for my size

buddy for my size.....

Thought you all would like a little country music...
Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeisel
This 4 pound hammer

is a little too heavy

for my size

buddy for my size.....

Thought you all would like a little country music...
????????????? country music ...what song are you referring to?

If at first you don't succeed get a bigger hammer

Shane

Last edited by Chevrolet4x4s; 02-14-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
"CHEVY"THE ANTI-RICE!!!

Last photo:

re: Separating a stubborn lower ball joint taper

HELL THAT'S THE BEST THING I'V EVER SAW .I'M GOING TO THE HARDWARE STORE SO I CAN MAKE ME ONE .I AGREE A HAMMER DOSN'T WORK ALL THE TIME .I THINK WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE WITH THAT ONE
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

pmeisel used a little bit of artistic license with those lyrics..

Here's the lyrics as listed sung by a country singing favorite of mine...

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/g...mer-12703.html
Now don't be saying that the Fat man ain't country either...

Later, mikey

Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

hi mike, just to clarafy, you are right, the big hammer doesn't always work. somebody else said that. i'm doing an early vette and three of the ball joint popped right loose with a 4# hammer, the last lower ball joint wouldn't budge. i just removed the lower control arm with the spindle still on and took it to my buddies shop, he has a section of railroad track they use as an anvil. we laid the spindle on that and he started wailing on it with a 12# sledge with a 4' handle--after 2 hits--POP-- it was loose.

the tool you showed IS cool and i would never beat on a powder coated spindle on a show car---but how many of those wear out balljoints pulling off and on the trailer???
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron

the tool you showed IS cool and i would never beat on a powder coated spindle on a show car---but how many of those wear out balljoints pulling off and on the trailer???

Hahahahah you guys do too much service/repair, and not enough hot rod....

People change springs to shockwaves all the time...and swap in different rate springs, as well as cut springs down that are too tall.

Recently I had a 47 ford PU in my shop with nicely painted undercarriage. The ball joints were not wore out. I swapped 3 sets of different springs in and out of the truck and made a couple of cuts on one set before the guy was happy with the height and ride.

Using the hammer would have made a mess out of that spindle, he would have been pissed, and questioned my quality of work.

Also, urethane bushings wear out about twice as fast as the ball joints. Replacing those in a car with coated pretty spindles is another opportunity to not take a hammer to the spindle. I did a set of those on a 34 with show chrome all underneath. Beating chrome with a hammer is not the happening setup.

Don't get me wrong, I actually DO use the hammer trick alot, on stuff that people don't look at, or care about and times when I want to feel like I am working to beat flat rate on a car that is a driver..

Later, mikey

Old 02-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
No. It won't work EVERY time.

"Every" is an all inclusive word, meaning that there will NEVER be a time when a smack with a hammer will not dislodge a ball joint.

I have ALOT of experience with hammers...and ball joints...I learned that trick when I was 16 too, from an old mechanic who was generous enough to let a kid like me hang around his shop...like many of you..

There are times when that hammer trick will not work.

I've seen it happen, and had to deal with it. I am not a book taught idiot either.

I am posting like this because when you say that way with a hammer works EVERY time, you are saying that simple little 4 dollar tool that I shared is a waste of time and effort and totally unnecessary.

What do you do when the spindle is painted, or powder coated, and the car is a show car?

Do you still whip out the hammer?
I'll bet the guys who bring a finished car to you to work on are so happy to see smashed up paint on their suspension parts.
Later, mikey
Well I dont usually work on show cars and the hundreds of ball joints or tie rods I have replaced in my lifetime have always seperated with a hammer blow and it always worked. I was not dumping on your tool just trying to help. I never said anything negative about you or the tool you suggested and I think your post is out of line and of no help to anyone. Hardly the type of example a moderator should be setting for others.

Chet

Last edited by T-bucket23; 02-15-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.