Hot Rod Forum banner

September 2012 Hot Rod Art Contest: Moonshine Haulers

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Job~Rated 
#1 ·
Our August 2012 hot rod art contest winners brickyardboy and lincoln highway jony have selected "Moonshine Haulers" as the topic for this month's art contest.

This month, the winner gets a $50 gift certificate to Speedway Motors (in the event of a tie, the prize will be split among the winners).

Voting will take place in the last week of September, so please have all entries posted by the 24th.

Thanks to all participants and voters!

#16 ·
Holy Cow! it looks like me, if my 36 were a 3 window I'd be there! Cool pics, guys, I got to show this one to my wife. All of you, great work, I love this part of our forum. And it's all ART! no matter the format, don't let the jerks discourage anyone. :thumbup:

#5 ·
Bill, I stopped posting on the HAMB ....got tired of the attitude of some of the guys there. The "we hate Photoshop" mentality and "we draw by hand so we're really artist" postings that some of the guys were putting up for a few weeks in a row. I sensed a little of that here as well and didn't post last month .....will try to add something this month and see how it goes.

These art forums use to be open to any and all ....no one criticized the medium or the artwork. It was all for the fun and the joy of it. But over at the HAMB, that's no longer the case. They only want certain types of artwork, which they get week after week. I for one am sick of seeing pin strips and Rat Fink every week, but would never bad mouth an artist for posting it. I guess those guys haven't discovered the scroll bar on their computer to take them to the next image .......

#6 ·
I couldn't agree more, Bob. It seems like HAMB has a tight little clicky group going there, and if you're not part of it, your art is unimportant, even if it's top notch work. I for one, always looked forward to your work as well as Dan Greenburg's (correct name?) great artistic photography. I really appreciate all forms of art, but post after post of that girl's pinstriping, and the many forms of RatFink, as good as it is, made my eyes glaze over after awhile! I'm hoping that anyone on this site would refrain from criticizing anyone's contribution to the monthly contest, regardless of the medium or technique, and just truly appreciate the effort that was generated. Looking forward, as always, Bob, to your entry this month.......Bill

#7 ·
Booz Haul-in

Iowa has a rich history on the art of making some good brew. One such drink is the famous Templeton Rye. Which was and is made around Templeton Iowa.During prohibition the moonshiners had to get smart to hide their goods. Much brew went over the Lincoln Highway. One such town was Carroll Iowa. The story goes that the Cops was checking autos on the west side of town where two main highways came together. The blockade landed much of the Brew. So some on the shiners made a deal with the local funeral parlors. The funeral Parlor was located on the west side of town., so when they moved a body or visit the cemeteries on the east side of town the employees would hide the hooch in the cryps or special cut outs that were carved into tombstones with metal sliding doors. There are still hide outs on the back of the stones today. The 1946 Ford in my Drawing is a real truck I have spotted at central Iowa car shows.

Attachments

#10 ·
Iowa has a rich history on the art of making some good brew. One such drink is the famous Templeton Rye. Which was and is made around Templeton Iowa.During prohibition the moonshiners had to get smart to hide their goods. Much brew went over the Lincoln Highway. One such town was Carroll Iowa. The story goes that the Cops was checking autos on the west side of town where two main highways came together. The blockade landed much of the Brew. So some on the shiners made a deal with the local funeral parlors. The funeral Parlor was located on the west side of town., so when they moved a body or visit the cemeteries on the east side of town the employees would hide the hooch in the cryps or special cut outs that were carved into tombstones with metal sliding doors. There are still hide outs on the back of the stones today. The 1946 Ford in my Drawing is a real truck I have spotted at central Iowa car shows.
Good drawing, Johnny. Most of these shine haulers had hopped up motors to get down the road faster, and outrun the law. Was it "Thunder road" with Robert Mitchum that featured him in his '50 Ford shine runner?

#18 ·
Haul-en Brew

The topic this month brings me back to High School Days when A person would Rubber Neck in their mirrors or over their shoulders in search of the law enforcement when hauling brew. Fridays .... Get the rod ready for cruising hitting the strip and finding the best parties. If you wanted to get wild,then leave the steady home and hunt some new talent. Friday night was cruise and party and don"t get caught. And of course take on a few Rat races for bucks between stop lights. Saturdays where Drag races at the strip at noon and cruising with the steady at night, hitting the hot spots and bragging about your races and of course PARTYING.... Sunday was being woke up by the Old Man to go to church.and hoping God would forgive you for the weekend. God I miss those days.

Attachments

#21 ·
The topic this month brings me back to High School Days when A person would Rubber Neck in their mirrors or over their shoulders in search of the law enforcement when hauling brew. Fridays .... Get the rod ready for cruising hitting the strip and finding the best parties. If you wanted to get wild,then leave the steady home and hunt some new talent. Friday night was cruise and party and don"t get caught. And of course take on a few Rat races for bucks between stop lights. Saturdays where Drag races at the strip at noon and cruising with the steady at night, hitting the hot spots and bragging about your races and of course PARTYING.... Sunday was being woke up by the Old Man to go to church.and hoping God would forgive you for the weekend. God I miss those days.
That describes a good weekend for me to a Tee! I tried to come up with a good reason to leave the steady at home about once a month and roll with the buddies, it took a serious reason to escape tho. Sunday morning the old man would grab a handful of toes and squeeze, I'd come up swinging but wide awake and .o.ed. Time to get ready for church. Good memories, thanks for the flashback! Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.