Hot Rod Forum banner

September 2013 Hot Rod Art Contest: End of Summer

7K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  brickyardboy 
#1 ·
Our August 2013 art contest winners 57Corvette, brickyardboy, and lincoln highway jony have selected "End of Summer" as the topic for this month's art contest. Hot rods in any summer activity such as the beach, a concert, drive-in etc.

This month, the winner gets a $50 gift certificate to Speedway Motors.

Voting will take place in the last week of September, so please have all entries posted by the 24th.

Thanks to all participants and voters!

#4 ·
Favorite Hang Out

Every town had it's favorite cruiser hang out . In northern California back in the 1970's our hang out was a Arctic Circle. It was more of a big window restaurant that had a large parking lot with plenty of room for Rodders to park watch the traffic and talk. Arctic Circle offered it's secret sauce witch was good on fries or burgers. The north coast was not a good place for drive in restaurants due to seasonal weather. Although we did cruise year around summer was boss . Summer met open top rides and girls dressing down not up. Signed Vagabond Road Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny

Attachments

#7 ·
I hear ya! I can remember the pride that I felt when I took the 1st ride through the local drive-in eateries with my latest hot rod, as humble as it was. It may not have been the best looking or the fastest, but it was mine, and I was proud of it, and people were looking!:D

#8 ·
During the late '60's when I was in a car club, we didn't have a Bobs Big Boy in our city but we did have an A&W and a Fosters Freeze. Those were the two local hangouts for all the car guys. We eventually got a Bobs Big Boy, but it never attracted the hot rodders and finally went out of business. Here is my work for this month showing a gathering at Fosters and one that could be the end of Summer in any town USA.

#14 ·
Here's a few from me. Years ago, our local drive-in, Red Rock Drive-In, used to pack them in on Friday and Saturday nights. As time passed, every good thing must come to an end, and our beloved Red Rock closed, and now a mall stands where it used to be. I never had a chance to bring my '69 nova there, but at least I can stick it in one of my drawings!:D

Attachments

#16 ·
Cool PIc"s Brickyard Boy. Boy what thoughts come to mind on the drive in movie. In days of teen ,If we were not cruise -in , drag-in we were at the drive in movie. One Friday night we snuck 25 people in passed the ticket booth, we used a 1968 chevy half ton van. We tried to jump and run ,but the rear springs gave us away. So we blocked the rear springs with 4 by 4 wooden blocks and got away with it. Just something to and brag about next Monday at school. What fun days. Signed Vagabond Road Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny

#26 ·
Surf-in

Surf-in was a Big part of the teen scene back in the 60's on the west coast. Surf-in was made popular in songs by Jan and Dean and other bands like, the Beach Boys and Hollywood was on board with Annette and Frankie teen beach movies. My old friend Big Daddy Ed Roth even seen the Media importance in being part of the scene. Surf-in on main land USA is only possible in the 60's from south of San Diego to north of San Francisco. It is hard to believe that such a small area ,and limited sport could be so important to Teens of the Middle 1960's. Signed Vagabond Road Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.