Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Serious problems removing harmonic balancer! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/serious-problems-removing-harmonic-balancer-63726.html)

spyderdude 06-03-2005 05:07 PM

Serious problems removing harmonic balancer!

I have the puller rigged up right, when I was using a breaker bar and 4 ft long pipe the crank came up at an angle. I was told wrong that I could untorque the main bolts before pulling the harmonic balancer. I should have followed the book.

What should I do now? The harmonic balancer is on at an angle and the crank ends up about 1/2 inch the above the block. I haven't been able get it straight by hammering the balancer either. I have no idea what to do now. btw this my first time turning a wrench. Any help is much appreciated, John

bracketeer 06-03-2005 05:21 PM

question

Where's the timing cover? I can't see why you would need a 4 ft bar to remove a balancer. To you have a rotating cap on your puller?

Try tapping the pistons back down in their bores to get the crank back into position. Reinstall the caps. Get a balancer installation tool and try to get it back straight.

NorthStar 06-03-2005 05:26 PM

Your description isnt very good Im totally confused. :drunk:

Are you trying to pull the damper off using a jaw type puller or what?

It kind of sounds like you have all the main caps off and torqued on the thing and dislodged the crank from the bearings.

Is the engine on a stand?

spyderdude 06-03-2005 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Latvala
Your description isnt very good Im totally confused. :drunk:

Are you trying to pull the damper off using a jaw type puller or what?

It kind of sounds like you have all the main caps off and torqued on the thing and dislodged the crank from the bearings.

Is the engine on a stand?

Yeah I did exactly that, its on a stand. Its a standard harmonic balancer puller from autozone. I freaked myself out, everything had be going really well. The pistons and rods are out, probably a bad idea.

NorthStar 06-03-2005 05:47 PM

All the pistons and rods are out of the engine?
That makes things a lot easier.

The crank is just stuck now because you had caps off and torqued on it.

Its wedged on the thrust I suppose. See if you can turn it back the other way it should fall back into place.

When you get the caps back on there use a 2x4 block of wood between the counterweight and pan rail to keep it from rotating when youre removing the damper.

Use some kind of washer on end of crank snout so it doent get damaged and make sure threads on puller are oiled up good.

spyderdude 06-03-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Latvala
All the pistons and rods are out of the engine?
That makes things a lot easier.

The crank is just stuck now because you had caps off and torqued on it.

Its wedged on the thrust I suppose. See if you can turn it back the other way it should fall back into place.

When you get the caps back on there use a 2x4 block of wood between the counterweight and pan rail to keep it from rotating when youre removing the damper.

Use some kind of washer on end of crank snout so it doent get damaged and make sure threads on puller are oiled up good.

I had wood between the counterweight and block but eventually the crank was "stuck" and I thought that meant the balancer was almost coming off but I guess not, also it was very well oiled with liquid wrench.

I can still spin the crank a little bit, I need a way to get the harmonic balncer in straight. thanks, JOhn

NorthStar 06-03-2005 05:59 PM

Liquid Wrench is not good enough.
Next thing that will happen is the threads in puller will seize up.
Use oil or grease.

Guess thats just a pet peave of mine.

Lonestar 06-03-2005 06:03 PM

Get the crank back into its proper position, torque the caps down and verify that the balance is actually cocked...may be just an optical illusion.

If it is cocked, then get it back on right like Bracketeer said.

Block the crank with wood and carefully remove it with the balancer puller. You could add a little heat with a propane torch, just a little though.

spyderdude 06-03-2005 06:04 PM

I can't get the crank back into the proper positon because of the balancer not being on straight, I'm positive.

Lonestar 06-03-2005 06:09 PM

What exactly is the balancer interfering with...the timing cover?

spyderdude 06-03-2005 06:17 PM

I'm not really sure honestly. I don't know how the harmonic balancer is keeping the crank from falling back into place, it doesn't make sense to me.

NorthStar 06-03-2005 06:19 PM

Bet you wont do it this way ever again.
Everybody messes up when I first started boss came and told me every time you ******* up we take a knuckle then he holds up his hand like he was missing a couple fingers.

Possibly when crank tilted up in back chain side got some slack and timing chain is out of line keepng front side pulled down.
If youre working on a small block Chevy take the puller off and measure how far the end of crank is from edge of damper.

If damper hasnt moved at all will be about 1 inch, if its about 2" watch out for your foot its ready to fall off.

spyderdude 06-03-2005 06:21 PM

Its 302 ford, it has been pulled off quite a bit, I have no idea how far it goes though.

Lonestar 06-03-2005 06:27 PM

I don't thing the balancer is holding you up at all. I think by using a 4' breaker bar and having loose caps you have that crank wedged. Try prying on the counterweights (very carefully) in the opposite direction as you cranked on the puller.

sbchevfreak 06-03-2005 06:39 PM

Just for a dumb qusetion on my part, but the crank bolts' washer isn't still stuck to the balancer? This is about the only thing I can Think of that would make a balancer need a 4' snipe to remove.