Hot Rod Forum banner

Serious Tranny Problems

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DTL504 
#1 ·
My Manual Tranny is making some horrible grinding noise. I cannot pinpoint the location, but I put the truck in any gear and I get this grinding noisy. I put the truck in neutral and reveres and she makes the noisy again. I did check the fluid in both tranny amd differntial, its good.
Any possible answer to this problem. This just started yesterday on the way home from work. Could this be the throwout bearing? Before It would not hold in 5th gear, she always jump out into neutral.

#2 ·
DTL504,

I think your last line hit the problem.
The clutch release bearing is or is going dry so it makes this noise.
The give away was when you say it makes the noise when you step on the pedal to release the clutch.
What this does is stop the input shaft of the transmission so if the noise starts up then it has to be the release bearing because all of the gears in the transmission are stopped.

Have Fun
Scholman

#4 ·
Sorry I got ahead of myself.
As to your second question about the transmission coming out of gear. This could be a few things but more likely than not it has something to do with the input shaft. Either the support bearing, most people call it the "pilot" bearing, in the rear of the engine has dried out or has gone out of round or the front bearing in the front of the transmission is going bad. If you hear any strange sounds coming from the transmission when the clutch is released and the engine is spinning the input shaft, like when you have it in neutral and your foot off of the pedal, then it is the front bearing on the transmission side.
Have Fun(again)
Scholman

#5 ·
I'm dropping the tranny this morning and for some strange reason it will not separate from the motor. I have all the bolts out and have triple check to make sure they are all out, but she refuse to separate from the motor. I've taken a pry bar between the housing and motor but Im still not able to get it loose. Is there a trick to get the input shaft to pull back from the motor which I think might be my problem. Could the bearing be chewed up and stuck in the middle of all the grinding noise and thats what making her so hard to separate from the engine.

#6 ·
Was able to get the teanny loose and cleaned it up however I dont see any damage to any of components. One thing that might have happen is the clutch plate was put on backwards, causing it not to go into 5th gear and later the grinding noise. At a minimum I will replace the Pilot bearing and throwout bearing. clutch and pressure plate is in good shape.

#7 ·
Generally speaking.... a clutch disk put in backwards will make a grinding noise when the pedal is pushed. This is from the springs hitting on the flywheel bolts. A problem with a trans not wanting to go into a gear or popping out is usually a linkage or shift fork problem, but it can also be from a gear missing teeth. A throw out bearing on a properly adjusted clutch, will only make noise when the clutch pedal is pushed. If the clutch is properly adjusted, the bearing is just sitting there, away from the pressure plate..stopped. The pilot bearing/bushing also would not make noise when the clutch is engaged, as the shaft is turning with the flywheel and crankshaft.

hope this helps.

#8 ·
Everything seem to be in good condition and maybe all I will have to do is change the clutch disk in the right direction. I don't want to spend money on this truck it just a 89 Isuzu P.U. that I used to hall my engines to machine shop and drive to work when its raining. Try to keep the Lincoln Navigator in the Garage during them days. :D

#9 ·
Well I waste my money buying a new clutch, bearings, and fluid. Plus my whole weekend. That was not the problem, so its the gears inside of the tranny that was making the grinding noise. Now I will just get rif of that P.O.S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.