Seriously Need help...Craziness... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Seriously Need help...Craziness...

Well all, here is the situation I am in..I bought a 78 chevy c10 from Rhode Island. I live in Connecticut and like all vehicles out of state with this old of age requires a vin check...The truck has work done to it and the only vin tag is on the driver side. Truck frame has been black coated, different motor, left front driver side windshield is not there, so to sum it up only 1 tag. CT, states is a RI issue. I drive 2 hrs today with the previous owner of the truck to talk to everyone. Still I get no where. Truck was registered and Insured in RI, and RI is a non-title state. Title is from Mass. Its been such aggravation with this stuff...

I have exhausted all my options and I guess need to find a company to stamp a replacement chevy vin for a 1978 C10. I have the mass title, the previous owners RI plates with registration, bill of sale, and a stamped document from the RI DMV stated the registration is legit.

I feel there is nothing illegal that I am doing, but please correct me if I am wrong..

I work for the state in mass and was hoping for a courtesy from the DMV inspector, but of course that didnt happen. Hence this wild goose chase.

Please Help..Thanks to all I appreciate it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

REMOVING THE VIN OFF THE WINDSHEILD area is illegal.. get your money back..
only other thing is to have your state issue a new vin..
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Move to RI

Budget RVs
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Getting my money back is nearly impossible cause its been already spent by the seller...there has to be a number on the chassis but everything is coated black..there has to be a way in this situation...Rhode Island can not issue a new bin because they can't go back to the origin of the truck...DMV do not archive pre 1981 vin numbers...so at this point unless I can figure out a way to register it without the CT DMV stripping apart the truck to fond another Vin check...I do not want to be paying $20 every 2 weeks to have the truck have temp plates on it...I love how the state is quick to take my money and sales tax but when I need help forget it...I will not settle having a truck that I can't drive..I will find a way with your help and my own ...Thanks for the post any info is much appreciated..
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,027 Times in 859 Posts
Consult with an attorney who specializes in such matters.
Begin here with a few phone calls explaining your problem.....
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/fi...rd/Connecticut
Find out from them where you can read the law in black and white.
I have beat tickets in the past, simply by having access to the actual printed words of the law that applies. If you haven't read the law in black and white, you have no idea of what it says and neither do any of the mushbrains at the DMV. People get stuff like this mixed up over the years and by heresay.

When I first moved to Arizona from North Carolina, I wanted to start up a small used car business. Everybody I talked with told me that a private citizen cannot sell more than 3 cars a year in Arizona without a dealer's license. A dealer's license was beyond my ability to buy at that time, so I abandoned the idea and went to work at the local Caterpillar dealer. Several years later, I was going through the law books at Noble Library on the Arizona State University campus and happened across the used car law in black and white. To my surprise, what it actually said was that you needed a dealer's license to sell more than 3 cars a year ON CREDIT. You could buy and sell as many used cars as you wanted to for cash, without a dealer's license. But you see, whoever read and interpreted the law repeated the falsehood that you needed a dealer's license to market more than 3 cars per year. They forgot the part about cash, so the incorrect interpretation made its way from one person to the next over the years and finally to my ears.

Moral of the story, READ THE LAW FOR YOURSELF IN BLACK AND WHITE. TRUST NOBODY.

Last edited by techinspector1; 04-30-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Removal of permanent VIN tags/numbers is Illegal. It also raises suspicion of a stolen vehicle.
Maybe the seller can explain that to the state police.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM

There are two VINs that need to be visible for a VIN inspection in most states that require one. The first is the public VIN. This is generally visible from the windshield on all US vehicles made after 1967. The second one is the legal VIN which is applied by the manufacture in a location that is difficult for a person to remove; altar or change without is being evident. That being said, your C10 should have the public VIN on the driver’s side of the dash, visible through the windshield. The legal VIN should be stamped on the frame rail, in the engine compartment, which could be the drivers or passenger’s side. For info most states and federal law prohibits covering up any VIN on a vehicle. This means that if the legal VIN is covered and or filled in with paint, undercoating, body filler etc, it must be scraped away so the VIN is visible.

If you are having trouble locating your legal VIN for the state inspection/verification I would suggest that you contact the N.I.C.B. (National Insurance Crime Bureau) or other similar origination that can be helpful in pinpointing the exact location of the VIN.

Ben
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered

VIN Numbers 1973-1980
Where is the VIN number on a 79 Chevy C10? - Yahoo! Answers
1981 Scottsdale - Hidden VIN locations - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Im not quite sure how much this may help or if at all just a quick search n skim through some of the pages. There were tons of pages on VIN locations so maybe if your able to find a 2nd one youll be good to go? Im a little confused on the subject. Ive never had to deal with that, they dont care here you could put a v12 on a lriding mower and not be questioned. Tonight as I was about to walk in the door a malibu with a high rise and dual filters came rolling by hoodless revving in 3-4 range, clean runner but with how loud it is n missing panels thats an attention grabber but is of norm when your out cruising here. Pretty laid back I guess is what Im trying to say lol.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I'll bet that truck is hot, and when you get the vin from the other areas of the truck and they run it..
there is no reason to remove the vin.. none.
good luck but this isn't gonig to end well...
even if it's a legal truck.. that missing vin might be on another floating around.. and with a missing vin.. expect hell from every cop you run into.. as in towed..
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Around here, you can get an "Assigned Identification number" to deal with those cases where so much has been replaced that it has become "Lincoln's Axe" (It's all original and can be proven to be Lincoln's. It has had 3 new heads and 27 new handles, but it is definitely Lincoln's Axe!)

We've all seen guys with an aftermarket chassis under a repro cab and the bed has been changed from a long-bed to a short-bed stepside. (now how do you register THAT? If I bought all his old parts, I'd actually have the truck described in the legal docs....

Just sayin' that there is always a way to get 'er done - you just have to find it.....
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Around here, you can get an "Assigned Identification number" to deal with those cases where so much has been replaced that it has become "Lincoln's Axe" (It's all original and can be proven to be Lincoln's. It has had 3 new heads and 27 new handles, but it is definitely Lincoln's Axe!)

We've all seen guys with an aftermarket chassis under a repro cab and the bed has been changed from a long-bed to a short-bed stepside. (now how do you register THAT? If I bought all his old parts, I'd actually have the truck described in the legal docs....

Just sayin' that there is always a way to get 'er done - you just have to find it.....
not when they run the vin on the truck other area and it comes back warm..
why anyone would buy a vehicle with a missing vin in the first place..
how did it get an inspection sticker.. they need the vin for that.. and it missing from the dash is a one way ticket to issues as any legal shop will call the local police as soon as they go to read the vin and it's awol..
even in R.I.
where this guy buy this central falls
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Registered

^~~~~~~ after thinking about it he might be right about it being hot in some manner or another. Iowa offers better financial aid than Illinois and actually refer people from chicago to move here for the benefits to live. When we got the Taurus for a daily driver we had to wait for the new plates to arrive so we were rolling on temporary and we got pulled over because the officer thought the car was stolen. He said theyve been dealing with alot of auto theft of inconspicuous vehicles stolen there and driven here on fake temporary tag plates. The taurus fit into this category of being more of a family car that blended in. This may not be the case but im sure its not the only reason to steal an auto and not chop it up right away but to drive it instead. The only vin an auto here has to have is the windshield but even then it is only checked out of suspicion. if all else fails could you rent a storage unit in the state that its from and sell it?

Edit....mistyped aid...had add heh.

Last edited by itsjusti; 05-01-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.