Service Writer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 PM
welcome to the S.B.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Service Writer

Hey guys,

There is a shop here in Santa Barbara willing to train someone to do Service Writing in their shop.

Do any of you know what a Service Writer does? I cant find any infomation, and I think I may be interested in applying

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 08:36 PM

Last journal entry: again
Last photo:

Question re ;service writer

a service writer is the first person a customer see's when they have a problem with there auto , they listen to the customer about there complaint and get the vech.info and make the work order to give to the mechanic. its a fairly good job,people skills are a must. down side to it is the world is full of none mechanicly minded people and that makes it hard to deal with them when ther car is broke. somtimes they just dont under stand.good luck to you.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 PM

Yes good luck most thankless job at a garage.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:04 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I use to work in a garage, between helping my boss, mounting/balancing tires, and pumping gas I was the service writer. It must be a big place if that's all they have you doing. Don't worry, most people just hand over their credit card not questioning how much the bill is. If someone gives you problems the head mechanic or owner should step right in to handle it.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:09 PM

Service writer

Are you going into a dealership? If so it could open a door for advancement. Most service writers make a decent salary and a commission. On top of that some dealerships have programs from the factory to offer bonus money for selling needed repairs.
As stated you will be the first person to greet the customer some may want a oil change and some may come in really mad because their car has been in the shop 20 times. You will have to bend over backwards to each customer to let them know you are there to assist them. When you put 200% into each customer even the one's that may be upset will change their attitude and you will find when they need something done they will ask for you because of the trust you have developed with them. Service writers can move into management positions, shop foreman & by watching and learning from tech's in the shop even becoming a line tech themselves. But you have to take care of your tech's just as much as a customer. Getting proper time for them and making an effort to sell work for them if they find a needed repair. You can always do extra's for customers by every once in while taking one's car to clean-up for them. It really pleases a customer that might have been angry to show back up with a fixed car and it detailed. Test drive cars yourself if it is a problem vehicle and make sure the complaint is gone before you call them, don't always take the tech's word. They fix alot of cars and sometimes over look something. A car that may not be completley fixed let them know you still want to keep working with it to make sure it's fixed and offer a loaner vehicle if they have them. Most important do not be influenced by service writers who just don't care and there is a least 1 in every shop.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:40 PM

Last journal entry: again
Last photo:

i worked at a chrysler dealership for about 2 years, and what Restore60s just said is 110% true.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:53 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i was a service writer for a few years, and all above is good advice. you definatly have to be a people person and not afraid of doing a little salesman work. the biggest thing to remember is that most of the people(not all) have just spent a lot of money for a car that now needs to be fixed, so there not in a very good mood to begin with. if you can deal with that and keep a positve outlook when all seems doomed than its the job for you. and you can advance if you choose to in most dealerships.

i enjoyed it when i did it but i got bored after a while because i was young and wanted to try other things.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:41 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

People like to spend money to buy cars but don't like to spend money to fix them. You will be dealing with people who are neutral to totally outraged but seldom with a happy person. It is a challange and your biggest problem IMO, is going to be communication. The customer spends 15 minutes telling you about the percieved symptoms and you have to encapsulate what they said hoping the tech will have any clue what the customer described. Most service writers put "noise in left rear" or something like that and then the tech has to take it from there. Quick test deive, NPF( no problem found) nail customer minimum shop charge, then wonder why customer is pissed off after 3 or 4 visits. If the dealership doesn't have a QC man (quality control) to go on test rides with the customer I would forget it unless you like frusterating jobs.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.