Servicing LE42 Chrysler Electronic 4 Speed Auto - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Servicing LE42 Chrysler Electronic 4 Speed Auto

I been doing some reading in a pretty good manual regarding this Intrepid of mine with nothing but a 2nd gear in forward. This is called "failsafe" or "Limp Home Mode".

Because I have the shift indicator LED's all lit when its in any gear, I been able to narrow down the problem to a small handful of things. Unfortunately the service shop I took the car to to have the transaxle scanned told me that it did not "throw" any codes, so it can't be diagnosed. They said there are a few Chrysler cars that can only be scanned by dealership scanners, but cost is a problem and trust is another.

But before I rip the valve body out, there are a couple simple things I heard that might also cause the problem.

1. I heard that if the battery voltage is too low, the transmission will go into "failsafe" 2nd gear operation. I don't have any real "symptoms" of a low battery or bad cell. Is there any way a battery can be bad without anything obvious. It starts OK all the time, but its an old battery, and the last guy that owned said it needed a charge to get it started.

2. There is a transmission relay of some kind under the hood in the "power distribution center" that can also cause the failsafe.

If its one of these, I could be running good in no time. Then there is the other things that it could be which are not all that expensive, but its so cold I can't tear the thing apart. And I don't want to lose pieces in the snow from the valve body or accumulators. So this is the other things I might have to do.

1. This thing has a "neutral safety switch", but its called either a Manual Valve Lever Position Sensor (MVLPS) or Transaxle Tange Sensor (TRS). You have to take the valve body off to replace this switch.

2. Then it could be the "Manual Valve" which is a valve that clips into the valve body. You also have to take the valve body off to replace this. Thing is, I can't seem to locate the part?

If any of you have experience with this LE42 or "A606" Chrysler transmission, please share some of your woes with me. This transaxle is used on all kinds of Dodges, Chryslers and Plymoths, and I even think its used on some Jeeps.

Thanks,

Joseph

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2004, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

42le(606)

in a previous thread someone ask the same question,if all lights stay on when gear shift is moved the most common thing that will cause this is manual lever position switch . which is inside on valve body . tranny shop is you best bet here find the one in your area you feel comfortable with. never use 42 le in any jeeps... 42 RE rear drive tranny 46RE (45rfe) was near in design but still rear drive. most good tranny shops now can do good diagnosis on these cars we are just as good as any dealers with good tools
Old 01-16-2004, 06:10 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Having worked both places, tranny shops and dealerships, I would say go to tranny shop. Unfortunately, the people in the dealerships don't have the trans experience that they really should. They do everything, not just trannies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.