Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Servo Motor MOD: DIY Easier Speed Control
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes View Post
Yes, this is very interesting, but I'm still at a loss to understand why there are so many problems going through the speed range just using the foot pedal. My servo motors can all do exactly what is being described just with the foot pedal, but I don't think mine are optical. I guess it has something to do with what you learn on. I learned on machines equipped with clutch motors, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Dan, I believe our SewQuiet 5000's are. I looks to me like they have the same controller as the one in Holster's video. I you haven't watched it at least take the time to.

The reason I wanted to answer your post was to explain the interest in a modification like this for amateur trimmers. I have for years been challenged to do all of my own work when building a car. I have had an English Wheel since 1989 because I wanted to learn to do my own sheet metal work. The car I have now has been pretty much built by me. I do my own metal work, paint work and interior work. I am never going to be the worlds best metal former, painter or trimmer. Jack of all trades and master of none applies to me for sure. Most of us who only do our own work are never going to have the cockpit time to become experts with a sewing machine. Anything that we can do that provides us with better control of the machine is a giant plus. Those of you who are experts in your trade have gotten there by spending years honing your skills to get to level you are at. We amateurs will never achieve that level but can still do some pretty good work. Control of the machine adds to that immensely.

John L