Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Servo motor versus Clutch motor questions?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Servo motor versus Clutch motor questions?

We finally got ourselves a used sewing machine this week.It is an older Phaff 145 h-3 that hasn't seen a lot of steady usage, so is in real good condition. With the clutch motor, it goes way fast for me to accuratley see what I'm trying to sew, and my wife can't control it very well either, compared to her home machines. We have played with pedal height and spring tension, but can't let it slip to go slow consistantly to get comfortable with it. We are looking at getting a servo motor for it.When you look at the servo motor option on the Tacsew site, they sell a 3/4 horsepower servo to replace the 1/2 clutch motor!! Do you need the extra power in a servo? Or is a 1/2 servo as good as a1/2 clutch style? What do you hook the pedal lever up to on the servo motor?Can you set or adjust the top speed with the servo so that say setting #1 would be a quarter of top speed,with the pedal pushed right down, and setting or adjustment#2 might be half of top speed pushed right down? Any explanation of how the servo motor works or controls would be great. Thanks Jim.