Hot Rod Forum banner

set timing on chevy 454 with HEI

33K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  beertracker 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Im new to the site, just got back from afghanistan a few months ago. I wanted the get something I could work on, so I picked up this 71 nova with a 454. The car seem sto idle well and starts off driving fine, but when I try to speed up it bogs out and back fires. I am assuming it is because I am losing spark or timing is off. Any suggestions? :welcome:

#3 · (Edited)
ok the carb has just been rebuilt, so i know thats good. I have never really messed with the timing on a car before, where is it supposed to be? I am not sure what the HEI distributer is even out of. I dont really know to much about the motor, is there a site you can run crate motor numbers on to find out where it came from and the specs? Oh and a fuel leak almost caused me to burn the car down today!! I think I am just gonna pull the motor and rebuild it from ground up just so I know what im working with.

#4 ·
Before you rip into the motor you need to determine what is wrong. Some simple tests can be done to eliminate certain potential problems.
A compression test revels many things like burned valves or worn compression rings.
A vacuum test also can help diagnose the problem.
Of course the routine things that were already mentioned need to be done.
The history of the motor won't help at all as the info cannot be trusted.

vicrod

#5 ·
ok thanks, I really appreciate all the help guys. Question, the vaccum connection on my distributer should connect to where? also how do I adjust timing on a HEI distributer? The army has me on a very demanding schedule in between deployments, so I am going to rely on the info you guys give, so thanks much.

#6 ·
Here is an old post I found that may help you out.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/454-ignition-timing-question-99643.html

To check initial timing you remove the vacuum line and plug it at the vacuum source. The vacuum source can either be above the throttle plates (ported vacuum) or at the intake manifold. I don't know which way it is on Chevys.

Wish I could be of more help but I am a Pontiac guy. :)

BT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.