Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - setting a carb for e85?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
Curtis, Perhaps you should go back and read the articles in the past two months of CARCRAFT. If you can't get the news stand copy, then go online to www.carcraft.com.

Uses more fuel, makes big power. E85 is great for the weekend racer.
The article to which I was referring made 6 more hp on the dyno. I'm not an expert, I was just quoting an article from a magazine. IIRC it was a 360-hp 355 that made 366 after the whole kit and caboodle. Proper timing, cooler plugs, the works.

The fact is, E85 has fewer BTUs than gasoline. Gasoline weighs in at 114,000 BTUs per US gallon, Ethanol comes in at 76,000. So, E85 would be around 81,700 BTUs if my head did the numbers right. E85 therefore has 28% less energy and requires about 30% more fuel. Sounds like a wash to me. The higher compression does tend to make better use of the BTUs in ethanol, which accounts for the modest gains in power in most of the apples-to-apples tests I have seen.

It CAN mean big power, but no more than gasoline if you're comparing apples to apples.