setting EFI idle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

setting EFI idle

well after doing a minor tune up to my 460 EFI BB new plugs cap and rotor.. couple little things.. before i did all this my idle was around 1000 rpm.. so i decided i try to lower the idle a bit.. is kinda high.. not to mention im running a 5 spd.. the only place i could think of for idle adjustmeant would be on the throttle body..?? the throttle stop screw right? well i turned it 1 turn out.. and it did nothin.. so i put it back how it was so i don't mess anything up.. so how do u adjust the idle on these computerized motors?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2004, 09:38 PM

I dont know your efi setup, but on a gm tbi, above 800 rpm is controlled by the computer and below 800 rpm is distributer. Just like a non-computer, you set the base timing with the computer unplugged. This should bring your idle down slightly.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Idle on an EFI engine is controlled by the idle valve. Some are just an on/off for fast idle when the engine is cold and the warm idle speed is controlled by the set screw. Some are modulated to control idle more precisely throughout the temperature range. However, it is possible that your idle valve is stuck in the open position. I would start there.

Chris
Old 02-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

460 idle

on these ford efi setups, the IAC controls the idle speed. it is very common for these valves and the passages in the throttle body to get plugged or restricted with carbon. try taking the vakve off the throttle body and using some high quality spray air intake cleaner on both the valve and the passages. i have also had to remove the throttle body and clean off the blades and the area around them. hope this helps!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

k ill clean her up... thanx for the replys
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Clean the T/body like chevfreak said to do even if there is a decal on the T/body that says not to. Start the eng and warm up to operating temp then disconnect the IAC valve (2 pin wire connector). Adjust the idle speed until the eng will barely idle, that will be approx 450 rpm.
The idle will drop down when you disconnect the IAC. If the idle is set too low for the engine to run when you disconnect the IAC the eng will die. Set the idle a little high to begin with so the eng will run with the IAC disconnected, then adjust the idle down till it barely runs. Reconnect the IAC and proper eng idle speed should be approx 800 rpm.
Disconnect the battery for 5 min. so the PCM will lose its short term memory. Reconnect the battery, start eng and run it at 1500 rpm for 1 min to verify engine is stilll warm. Put into gear and idle for 30 sec, put it into neutral and rev to 1500 rpm for 5 sec, drop back to idle and repeat 3 times. That is the procedure for the PCM to "relearn" the new idle speed with the clean T/body.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.