Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Setting timing on 383 (plus a few other questions)
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Setting timing on 383 (plus a few other questions)

I just bought a Model A street rod a few weeks ago and have slowly been tweaking it to get running better on the street. The engine was freshly built with about 500 miles when I brought it home but was all setup for drag strip.

I had some bog/hesitation when pushing the gas initially so I swapped from the pink holley cam to the orange cam (with 31 squirters) and it seems to have some go now.

Also the car would stall when put into gear (th350) but if I disconnected the van advance it would run just fine. I finally got a timing light and have been tweaking the timing but I can't seem to find a number that makes this engine happy. I was curious if someone could give me some pointers, I know the tunnel ram that is on it now isn't perfect for the street and is probably adding to the confusion but I have ran out of money after buying the car to replace that setup right now :-)

Any advice on what the timing I should be aiming for should be? also the idle? I have been able to get about 11 inches of vacuum so far

Specs:
Chevy 383 stroker long block
64cc aluminum heads
1.60/2.02 screw in studs & guide plates
hardened push rods
true roller rocker arms
flat top hypereutectic pistions (10 to 1 compression)
gear drive timing set (sounds really cool)
plasma moly pistion rings
new steel 383 crankshaft
cam is .488/.510-234/244 Edelbrock Performer
High volume oil pump
7 quart oil pan
HD Tri-metal bearings
Weiand tunnel ram with two chokeless Holly 450 cfm carbs and K&N filters.