Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Setting timing on 383 (plus a few other questions)
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

willys36: The carbs are mechanical advance 4160 holleys w/ no choke (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku)

I am not a huge fan of the carb's but the bank account is getting pretty low right now, I have been looking at the 4160 390cfm vac. secondary and electric choke as a replacement or possibly the edlebrock performers 500cfm (although 1000 cfm total might be to much) as replacements in 6 months or so.

For both of the carb's they have the 31 squirters in them and originally came with the pink pump cam but that seemed to cause heavy bog (even with the vac advance disconnected). I changed them to the orange cam and readjusted the pump spring and now it seems to pick up a little better. This weekend I messed with the timing some and it won't run on any timing below about 8 BTDC, it will just stall even if I crank the idle screws like crazy. If I set the timing around 12 she run's ok and 14-16 seems to run nice but has the "marbles in a tin can" sound at idle.

I have ordered the MSD advance spring/bushing kit so I can change the mechanical advance and I am thinking of getting an 8psi or adjustable vac can for the distributor since I don't have a ton of vacuum with the cam.

Hopefully I can nail the timing this weekend, I am worried that the balancer has moved or something along those lines because I can't get anywhere near the "initial" setting the most people use on this board and keep it running (4-8)