Setting up my ignition - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 PM

Last journal entry: epoxy paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Setting up my ignition

Im almost finished going through labeling, understanding, replacing (where necessary) all of the wires in my chevy. When I first started a few days ago I unkowingly took apart the alarm system wires that the previous owner had on the car. Of course, the ignition was the only part that I still cant figure out how make work.
I have printed out some different copies of how to wire the ignition system and I cant seem to get it right. I would like to have it set up a certain way that is close to how the ignition was before I messed it up.

Id like to turn the key in the cylinder to get power. Then flick on a killswitch (that is attached to a "key on" power source, grounded, and to the distributer battery terminal), then use a push button to start the engine. I have an alarm system to install that has a starter disable function and Id like to set it up.
If anyone would help me with how to do this I would be greatly appreciative. I havent turned the car on for a few days because Im timid about screwing anything up. Most of the other wires have been sorted through and Id like to move onto body-work by next tuesday or so.

Ive read about a few other added security things to do with the wiring such as using a magnetic reed that keeps the starter from being engaged unless a magnet (on your key ring) is swiped near it. then you have ten seconds or so to start the car before it needs to be re-engaged. Any other suggestions would be cool. Im one who likes that james bond kind of gadgetry. Thankyou for anything

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

After reading your many posts on this subject..what is it you want? Ignition wiring or alarms?

The Ignition wiring is straight forward, and simple to wire..if that is what you need..

Alarms, given the many diagrams you already have, I suggest if you have a feeling your vehicle will be stolen, go to a local auto electrical / Alarm store and purchase a medium priced wireless alarm system and have it installed.

Stay away from the bottom dollar systems..too easy to defeat..and the high price ones probably have options you may not need or want..like remote start, heater on, voice recognition , and the like.

Doc
Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Id like to start my car. I dont know how to wire it up correctly and I've tried a few different ways. Right now I have the Battery to the battery terminal on the solenoid. Also a wire going from the battery terminal on the solenoid to the distributer cap. I have the purple and white ignition wire from the steering column to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. Is this correct?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

The will be a 10 gauge wire on the BATT terminal of the starter solenoid. It should go to a fuse link, then to the "Hot at All times" terminal on the ignition switch.

On the same solenoid terminal, there will be a 10 gauge wire going to a fuse link to the alternator output lug.

NEXT, There will be a wire coming from the "Hot in run Only" side of the ignition switch (probably pink) 12 or 10 gauge..this wire goes to the HEI "BATT" terminal ONLY.

Locate the "Hot in start only" wire off the Ignition switch, (probably purple), this wire goes to the neutral safety switch, then from there to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid.

If you have this, the car will start, run, charge and shut off..

Doc
Old 07-21-2007, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

THANKS DOC!!!!!! This makes so much sense. I have drawn up a diagram of what you explained and can apply it to start, charge, and shutdown my beloved Chevy. Thanks again, Doc!!
-Matt

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.