Hot Rod Forum banner

sewing corners

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
What is the generally accepted method of sewing corners on seat covers and cushions. I am very new to the art and do not want to use pipng yet. I am able to sew straight lines with the flat seams and want to learn corners. I can not figure the seams out on corners

#3 · (Edited)
Check this out: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/french-seams-117488.html?highlight=french+seam It's your seat and you can sew it however you like it. As you know, most seats in new and newer cars do not have welting (or it can be called piping, too), the seams are generally sewn together and then top stitched or french seamed. Top stitching is only sewn on one side of the original seam and is sewn through the top of the fabric and through both layers of the seam allowance at the same time. This holds down the excess fabric and makes the seam look terrific. As you can see, a french seam is sewn on both sides of the original seam. This is more complicated, especially if you're sewing any long seams this way. I would practice top stitching first, and then take a shot at a french seam. If there's anything you don't understand, just ask.

#5 ·
I'm just learning to sew myself, and I've discovered that doing corners is just like the tortoise and the hare - slow and steady wins the race. Even if it means taking my foot completely off the treadle and doing the corner by hand, one stitch at a time.

I'm lucky in that I found that my local community college has automotive upholstery classes, and I start August 27th. That's going to help me out to no end. You might check to see if your local community college has anything similar. I've also discovered that some sewing machine repair shops that deal with our hevier duty machines offer workshops and short classes - some are free, and some for a nominal fee.

#6 ·
benchracer1 said:
Im finding that doing the topstitch on corners is a matter of patiently and carefully working the needle and foot down in the corner.
You've discovered the secret to sewing. You don't need to go fast, you just need to be accurate. Nobody can topstitch 100 miles an hour around a 90 degree corner. If you need to turn the hand wheel to do one stitch at a time to sew something, there's nothing wrong with that. Just like anything else, you have to walk before you can run and practice makes perfect. (sorry, I got carried away with the cliches)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.