Sewing machine has stopped sewing? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sewing machine has stopped sewing?

OK, Dan was right, I am having more trouble with the Morse 600 home style sewing machine but not sure what is causing the problem.

All I am trying to do is sew two pieces of vinyl together to make new seat covers, nothing fancy. I was able to sew the bottom seat cover together and it looked pretty good for my first time. The machine was running way to fast so I installed a new foot petal which solved that problem.

Now when I try to sew two pieces of vinyl together there is no thread going thru the material at all. Sometimes it will make a few stitches have a blank space and then sew a few more stitches. The needle is punching holes in the material but there is no thread going thru in most cases. If I put one piece of vinyl under the needle it works fine. Will not sew two pieces.

I have rewound the bobbin, installed a new #18 needle and checked to be sure it is facing the right way, have the same tension on the bobbin thread and the needle thread, double checked everything to be sure it is threaded the right way, tried running fast then slow, took the bobbin assembly apart and cleaned it out, did a search on Google and I still can not get it sew the two pieces of vinyl together. Strange since I was able to do it before. I have #69 thread in both the bobbin and the needle.

Any ideas on how to fix this?? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The bobbin tension is different than the thread tension. The bobbin tension is not supposed to be the same as the thread tension, it is significantly looser. When you pull out the bobbin thread, it should just have slight resistance, not be as tight as the top tension. The way to check is by looking at the stitches. If the top thread lays flat on top of the fabric, the bobbin tension is too loose. If the bobbin thread is flat on the bottom of the fabric the top tension is too loose. If the tensions on this machine are not right, you can adjust from now until forever and not get it right. Take it to the sewing machine shop and have them show you how to adjust the tensions.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thread tension and timing set-vinyl still not sewing?

Understanding Thread Tension - Threads

Ok, I called the sewing machine shop and they told me they were not going to show me anything. They offered to do a tune up, clean and lube on the sewing machine for $100.00 parts extra, so I decided to follow Dan's instructions along with the information in the above link on thread tension. I also ran across a video on how to set the timing. After a lot of trial and error and study I was able to get a perfect, uniform stitch on both sides of two layers of thin fabric.

When I put my two layers of vinyl in the machine and tried to sew it, I got a series of short, medium, and long stitches on both sides of the material. Tried the trial and error method again with this and have not gotten it right yet. Most of the time it got worse with skipped stitches. Some were a half inch to an inch long.

Do I have to assume this machine is not capable of sewing two layers of vinyl together or is there something else I can do?

I am using a Morse 600 home style machine with #69 thread and a #18 needle. The vinyl I am sewing is a little less than 1/16 inch thick. I have 5/16 of an inch between the pressure foot and the base of the machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Any sewing machine should sew two layers of fabric together. What the machine may not be doing is moving the fabric through the machine efficiently. If this machine is needle feed only, like most home machines are, you might be fighting a losing battle. It's impossible to trouble shoot this without sitting behind the machine. There are a million things that could be causing this. I can tell you one thing, it is almost always operator error, and not the machine. It still sounds to be like the machine is not timed correctly, but that's just a guess.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.