Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sewing Machine Question
View Single Post
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 PM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
DanTwoLakes DanTwoLakes is offline Moderator
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 67
Posts: 6,604
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 363 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by welder4956

The needle that is called out in the manual is a "Type 180 GXS or 180 GYS". The sizes it can handle are "075/029, 080/032, 090/036, 100/040, 110/044, 125/049, 140/054, and 150/060". Which of these would be needed for the 92 polyster thread?

If anyone could help me decipher all this, I would appreciate the help.

Just like Singer and a few others, Union Special has their own numbering system for needles. The first number is the metric size, and the number after the forward slash is the Union Special equivalent. Any good needle supplier will have the needles for your machine. You can use the 125, 140, and 150 with #92 polyester thread.

Compound feed means there are two types of feed being employed at the same time. This usually means needle feed (the needle pulls the fabric through) and drop feed ( the feed dog and walking foot pull the fabric) but it can also mean any two types of feed working together.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-28-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote