Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

That's a really old review, and whoever wrote it is totally wrong about the "punching power", as he puts it, of the Reliable motor. I have never found any situation that I didn't have enough power to sew through what I wanted to sew through. The size of the pulley has no bearing on the torque of the servo motor, it only affects the top speed of the servo motor. I don't think the reviewer was a very accomplished sewer. Also, there is no braking and holding ability in a servo motor like there is with a clutch motor. That's because the clutch motor is mechanical, and the servo is electronic. In industry, servos are used to do extremely precise positioning using programmable controller units to run them. In sewing machine applications, the servo was dumbed down and simplified to make it more cost effective. I don't think anyone would have changed their clutch motors if they had to pay $1000 for the motor and controller to run it.

Once again, true servo motors are constant torque devices, which means that they have the same power at slow speed as they do at high speed. A standard clutch motor would have more power the slower it goes and less power the faster it goes.

The Reliable 3000 and 4000 motors are 1/2 HP, and the 5000 is 3/4 HP, so it would have 50% more torque than the 3000 and 4000 models.

In this case, you absolutely get what you pay for. I would have replaced my clutch motors just so I didn't have to listen to the clutch motors running all day long. The savings in electric usage alone is worth paying more for a servo. I am positive I paid for my servo motors in one year of electrical savings.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 04-24-2012 at 10:53 PM.