Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Moving the connecting rod back to the rear hole on the motor's lever will give you more control of the motor. I have mine attached to the middle hole. Having it attached out at the end of the lever makes the foot pedal more sensitive.

How big is the pulley that's on there now? They used to give you a 90MM and a 110MM diameter pulley. 90MM is about 3 1/2" and 110MM is about 4 1/4". If you put a 1 3/4" diameter pulley on the motor it will cut the top speed of the machine by 50%. BUT, .....sewing is all about the foot pedal. When you reduce the speed of the motor, you take away some of the ability to control the machine via the foot pedal, and you lose a lot of control of the sewing machine.

I always encourage people to learn how to control the machine the way it was intended to be used. In the end, you will be a lot better sewer if you do. I can make a clutch motor stitch slowly one stitch at a time because that's what I learned on. That takes a lot of practice. The servo makes your learning curve a lot smaller. Will you make mistakes running the machine at higher speeds? Yes. You'll also make mistakes running at slower speeds. I've been sewing for almost 40 years and I still make mistakes. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-22-2012 at 07:23 AM.