Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodat
John, your motor is not working the way it should! What does Reliable say about it?

I use a different kind of servo motor on my machine - it has a needle positioner. The positioner allows the motor to know where the needle is in its stroke. I almost never touch the hand wheel on my motor. The treadle has another position called "heel down". Toe-Down sews as usual. Heel-Down raises the needle to the top of its stroke so you can remove your work piece. The other thing this type of system does whenever you stop sewing the needle is in the full down position. Always.

The motor has full torque at all speeds. I think the motor was worth the additional expense.
These type of sewing machines have been around for a long time. Almost any sewing machine can be fitted with precise needle positioning, automatic thread cut off, automatic back-tack, and a number of other features. Why spend hundreds or thousands of extra dollars on this stuff when all you really need to do is practice with the sewing machine? I guarantee that all this stuff has nothing to do with the quality of the work you do. You can't buy quality workmanship and attach it to your sewing machine, you have to learn it.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.