Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings View Post
It was supposed to be free shipping but I just got the invoice and there is a $10 and change charge so it worked out to $177 to the door. It has not shipped yet.
Extra smaller pulley?? good question... I don't know. I have a couple of pulleys that I tried on the clutch motor. These have .75 in. bores so I will have to come up with a bushing. Apparently the servo has a metric shaft so possibly a 5/8 bore pulley could be bored out. Not a big deal for me. I can see the extra mechanical advantage of the smaller pulley but I really don't think it is necessary. Just because someone said the clutch motor would sew thru plywood I tried 4 layers of vinyl and a piece of 1/8 aircraft ply and asside from a horrible noise it didn't even slow down. It did cost me a needle. The servo is supposed the be even more powerful.

Actually I'm trying to get to the skill level that I won't need the very small pulley. Dan advocates just using the hand wheel for tight spaces and I'm already comfortable with that. It will be nice to be able to poke along at my own pace instead of the zip, stop, zip, stop that the clutch motor requires.
Thats a great deal...I have been sewing with a clutch motor for nearly 30 yrs off and on, and the servo makes a world of difference.
I understand what Dan is saying about not needing the smaller pulley and using the hand wheel to go stitch by stitch. But, my machine with the 50mm pulley installed and the servo set at 12 will easily go from stitch by stitch to faster than you need to sew. Just bump the pedal and you have one stitch. Today I was sewing together two pieces of 1/2" foam backed vinyl with a 6" radius. I never had to touch the hand wheel. Believe me, you will not need any more speed than what you will get using the 50mm pulley. I used to have to hold pressure on the hand wheel to get it going slow and to keep the clutch motor from running too fast. Hey, you be the judge!!!