Hot Rod Forum banner

Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation?

72K views 91 replies 11 participants last post by  GT500tow 
#1 ·
Looks like I'm going to switch from a clutch motor to a servo motor on my Adler 167--I just can't finesse it the way I'd like to when sewing.

I'm weighing two 3/4hp servo motors to use a replacement: One is a Consew CSM-550, the other is a Nick-O Sew NKS-5500.

The Consew (presumably) is backed by the Consew reputation, whereas I'm not too familiar with the Nick-O Sew name...Both are about the same price and have the same features except the Nick-O Sew has the speed control knob on the power switch box (which I like) whereas the Consew has it on the motor.

Any recommendations/testimonials for or against one or the other?

Thanks!

#86 · (Edited)
If what we are calling here a servo motor was a true servo motor, it would have constant torque throughout the entire speed range. True servos are used for precise indexing and positioning applications in industry.

The servos used on sewing machines are not true servos, so you are right that there is more mechanical advantage ( torque ) at lower speeds, and less at higher speeds.

#89 ·
I did a little more work with the new servo motor conversion.

After looking over the modification noted above I decided to try and change the arm ratio.

I drilled a series of holes in the side of the treadle and reinstalled the "throttle" arm link. This give a much more progressive speed increase, however it still requires a steady foot. I don't have any problem with this as I use a foot pedal with my TIG welder and I can use either foot with equal ease. I think I will add a little spring tension to give a better feel to the treadle. It will be stiffer and more like the TIG pedal. Just a personal preference. For reference my link hole is 1 3/4" from the center of the treadle pivot.

Someone mentioned sewing thru 8 layers of vinyl. So I tried this after practicing running straight stiches and some curved ones. I began folding the test piece over and running some more stiches. I also tried slow and faster rates. Eventually I got to 8 layers and even at the very slowest speed the machine will plow right thru and pull the thread tight. High speed is no contest. I couldn't fold the piece up any more so I just added a top and bottom layer and it punched right thru again. That's as thick of stack as will fit under the foot on my machine. This is with the 90mm pulley. I was going to get the 50mm pulley but I think I'll hold off and see if there is a need.

Love this servo motor!!!

#91 ·
I know..I did that just to try it back when you noted it before. The noise is incredible. haha I'll add to that, I build big model airplanes and use aircraft plywood which is usually 5 layer birch. It will go thru that too but it did cost me a needle. I think I flinched and made the walking foot slip as the needle hit something and bent it a little. I think this new servo motor has even more power than the clutch motor.........I haven't even been able to give that thing away.:evil:

One of the upholstery related things I made for the giant scale warbirds was a leather cover over the opening at the rear of a B-25 rear gun port. These were typically leather in WW 2 so I salvaged a dark leather lady's purse and cut some leather from it. I then sculptured a wrinkled balsa surface underlayment. I covered this with the fine soft well worn purse leather and installed it over the guns and into the gun port. It looks quite realistic.

I wish I would have had this machine back when I was training dogs. It sure would have come in handy to make and repair some of our leather and jute training equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.