Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I looked at the video on the Sewing Dude blog, and would like to point out a couple things. Yes, the servo motor is twice as expensive, but if you sew for a living, turn your machine on in the morning and turn it off at the end of the day, it won't be long before your electrical savings will pay for the servo. I personally don't like the clutch motor even though I sewed with one for almost 30 years. I absolutely hate listening to the motor constantly running, so for that reason alone I prefer the servo.

I don't think this was properly explained on the blog:

When you use the treadle with the clutch motor, you are actually "slipping" or "feathering" the clutch to control the speed the sewing machine runs at, you are not controlling the speed of the motor in any way. When in use, a clutch motor is constantly running, and it is running at its full speed. Some motors are re-connectable to be able to run at different speeds, but clutch motors have no bells and whistles, they are very plain Jane and very utilitarian. He also talks about "adjusting" the clutch motor. The only thing you can do is replace the clutch when it wears out, and for the price of a new clutch motor, I'd recommend just replacing the whole assembly, not just the replacing the clutch.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-28-2013 at 12:48 PM.