Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

They're sending UPS by on Monday to pick it up. Nice folks--easy to deal with.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,104 Posts
Great. Are they sending out another one or are you going to have to wait for them to diagnose this one and return it?

John L
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
Great. Are they sending out another one or are you going to have to wait for them to diagnose this one and return it?
I have to wait, but that's no problem--I still need to order supplies for my next project anyhow.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I installed my SawQuiet5000 yesterday and have the same issues you did SafeAirOne. On the slow speeds it needs help to start some times. I could live with that but when I sew at the low speed, it will click along for 20 stitches and then jump about 5 stitches. Also, if I am sewing at a low speed, when I let up on the treadle, it will surge 5 or 6 stitches. So far this is not good at all. Have you heard anymore about your unit? This is a national holiday in Canada and they are closed. I will have to call them tomorrow.

John L
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

This question is for both of you. Just how slow are you trying to run the motor? I understand running the machine at slow speeds to help learn how to sew, but turning the motor down so it barely moves completely defeats the foot treadle, which will not help you in the slightest to learn how to sew.

When you started driving, did you drive at 1/2 mile per hour because you were new to driving?

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I hear you loud and clear Dan but this thing just isn't right. If I set the speed on 10 you can't make it stitch slow enough to make a stitch or two when you are in a tight place. If I turn it down to a 2 or 3 then it will run a 2 or 3 stitches a second for 15 to 20 stitches and then will surge way up to 20 stitches a second and drop back to 2 or 3. You can't sew anything if you can't predict what the machine is going to do. I would be better to put the clutch back on it. As a matter of fact this machine had a very smooth clutch on it.

If I understood your earlier posts you can make an individual stitch with your machine. Not so with this one. I was playing around with some scrap trying to top stitch and it fluctuates so badly I have no control. I totally understand that I am an amateur but that is the whole reason for buying a servo. I need to be able to control the machine at a slow enough speed to compensate for my lack of experience.

I really do appreciate you taking interest in our situation. I will post what I find out tomorrow after I speak to the company.

John
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

How about posting a picture of the linkage from the motor to the treadle?

Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Here you go Dan. This thing seems to smooth out around speed 5 or so. I am thinking, if reliable can't do anything with this, I will put the smallest pulley on the motor I can. I would be willing to sacrifice top speed for more low end control.

John L

Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Moving the connecting rod back to the rear hole on the motor's lever will give you more control of the motor. I have mine attached to the middle hole. Having it attached out at the end of the lever makes the foot pedal more sensitive.

How big is the pulley that's on there now? They used to give you a 90MM and a 110MM diameter pulley. 90MM is about 3 1/2" and 110MM is about 4 1/4". If you put a 1 3/4" diameter pulley on the motor it will cut the top speed of the machine by 50%. BUT, .....sewing is all about the foot pedal. When you reduce the speed of the motor, you take away some of the ability to control the machine via the foot pedal, and you lose a lot of control of the sewing machine.

I always encourage people to learn how to control the machine the way it was intended to be used. In the end, you will be a lot better sewer if you do. I can make a clutch motor stitch slowly one stitch at a time because that's what I learned on. That takes a lot of practice. The servo makes your learning curve a lot smaller. Will you make mistakes running the machine at higher speeds? Yes. You'll also make mistakes running at slower speeds. I've been sewing for almost 40 years and I still make mistakes. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-22-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

It does have a 4 inch pulley on it. Only came with one size.

I know all to well what you are saying is true about practice. I have done 4 interiors in the years I had the Thompson Mini Walker. It ran wide open at 900 spm. The reason I bought it to start with was I had a dear friend who was a trimmer and I knew how difficult it was for me control the clutch. It really was easy to control while doing tight work. Unfortunately, as I got more experienced, I found that it just did not have the presser foot height to handle pleats with sew foam panels. Also, since it was not a needle feed, as the material got thicker the stitches got shorter.

Do take a look at the picture again though. If I move the rod toward the pivot point of the motor it is going to get more sensitive. I could move the rod toward the pivot point of the treadle and desensitize it but I really don't think that is the issue. This motor just does not have much variation in its speed between stop and what ever setting you put it on........Wish we were neighbors.

John L.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

"Do take a look at the picture again though. If I move the rod toward the pivot point of the motor it is going to get more sensitive."

If you want to break a tight nut off of a bolt, do you put a short pipe over the handle of your ratchet or a long pipe? Having the rod out at the end of the lever increases the leverage on the lever making the foot pedal easier to push down. Try the other two holes, what do you have to lose?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

You are 100% correct in that. My point was that by putting it at the end of the lever it required more travel distance. When you move that wrench you referred to the long handle moves farther for the same movement at the nut. My thoughts were I needed control of the movement, not leverage. That said, I haven't forgotten, you are the one who owns 3 servo motors and sews for a living.

John L
Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Last journal entry: Getting Started with Upholstery
Last photo:

John, your motor is not working the way it should! What does Reliable say about it?

I use a different kind of servo motor on my machine - it has a needle positioner. The positioner allows the motor to know where the needle is in its stroke. I almost never touch the hand wheel on my motor. The treadle has another position called "heel down". Toe-Down sews as usual. Heel-Down raises the needle to the top of its stroke so you can remove your work piece. The other thing this type of system does whenever you stop sewing the needle is in the full down position. Always.

The motor has full torque at all speeds. I think the motor was worth the additional expense.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

That sounds really good. I spoke to Reliable's customer support about an hour ago. Nathen advised they had run into this issue before. He stated that the sales person should have known to advise me I would want the 2 inch pulley. Will double torque delivered to the machine and cut the speed in half. There is no doubt it will help. I just took the belt off and ran the motor at all speeds including the very slowest. With no load it runs perfectly smooth at a consistent speed. My Adler 267 has a 3 1/2 inch pulley. The servo pulley is 3 1/2 inch also which means the machine head is geared with a 1 to1 ratio. Hopefully under driving it with a ratio of 2 to 1 will solve the problem. It will effect top speed of course but that is of no concern to me. being a "hobbiest" I need control not speed.
Hey, I am almost 67. How much time do I have to practice? I NEED CONTROL NOW!!!

John L
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Hey slodat. Just saw you were in Vancouver. I lived on NE 146 th street. Was in the North County Cruisers in those days. 1998-2001. Had a blue and beige 57 Olds hardtop back then. Small world

John

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.