Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Last journal entry: Getting Started with Upholstery
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I run the smallest pulley I can find which is the 614 size.

The torque multiplication of the smaller drive pulley is very noticeable. I was under the impression that Reliable shipped their motors with 50mm pulleys. I was almost correct, Keystone Sewing ships motors with the small pulley.

I feel tools are not a place to skimp on cost. I'd rather wait a little longer until I can afford a quality piece than have to purchase it twice in the end.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodat
John, your motor is not working the way it should! What does Reliable say about it?

I use a different kind of servo motor on my machine - it has a needle positioner. The positioner allows the motor to know where the needle is in its stroke. I almost never touch the hand wheel on my motor. The treadle has another position called "heel down". Toe-Down sews as usual. Heel-Down raises the needle to the top of its stroke so you can remove your work piece. The other thing this type of system does whenever you stop sewing the needle is in the full down position. Always.

The motor has full torque at all speeds. I think the motor was worth the additional expense.
These type of sewing machines have been around for a long time. Almost any sewing machine can be fitted with precise needle positioning, automatic thread cut off, automatic back-tack, and a number of other features. Why spend hundreds or thousands of extra dollars on this stuff when all you really need to do is practice with the sewing machine? I guarantee that all this stuff has nothing to do with the quality of the work you do. You can't buy quality workmanship and attach it to your sewing machine, you have to learn it.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: Getting Started with Upholstery
Last photo:

Of course it is not a replacement for knowing how to use the machine. What I was pointing out is it makes the operation of the machine a lot faster, easier and exceptionally consistent. I am quite happy with the positioner motor and thought I'd let him know they are out there as an option.

I can sew just fine with a clutch motor. It is what I learned on. I also replaced it for a servo motor because they are quiet first and foremost. Once I had one I found I got a lot faster at the machine by turning the speed down some.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I wasn't knocking your recommendation, but I think a lot of the people who are looking for advice here are assuming that slowing down the sewing machine to a crawl will automatically make them great sewers, and the only thing that will do that, at any speed with any kind of equipment, is experience. You can be a lousy sewer or a great sewer at slow speed as well as high speed.

Industrial machines are meant to be used at high speed and are usually run two or three shifts a day. They take some getting used to. Cutting the speed down to 50% of the machine's capability to start with should be plenty for the casual user. Learning how to use the treadle is very important, and if you try to slow the machine down so that the treadle is almost insignificant you can't learn how to operate the machine correctly.

Finally, nobody is suggesting that anyone should sew at full speed, I rarely do. My point is that knowing how to operate the machine correctly will make you a better sewer which will translate into better results.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
I installed my SawQuiet5000 yesterday and have the same issues you did SafeAirOne. On the slow speeds it needs help to start some times. I could live with that but when I sew at the low speed, it will click along for 20 stitches and then jump about 5 stitches. Also, if I am sewing at a low speed, when I let up on the treadle, it will surge 5 or 6 stitches.
Sounds like exactly the same thing mine was doing. I attributed te surge to "trpping" the threshold between the ramp-up and full-sped modes, but it would happen inconsistently and unpredictaby.

I don't want to speculate on what the problem might be, but I wonder if there is an issue with the latest batch of motor controllers??

Reliable told me yesterday thet they're shipping my motor out to me today. I'll post up th results when I get it back.

I'd definitely give them a call. If there's a trend developing, they'll want to know about it and, of course, you need to get them to fix yours. They seem to be pretty customer-service oriented.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Apologies to all for the 2-in-a-row etiquette breach, but I missed the whole other page of replies to this thread--

John, I guess that Reliable says you need a smaller pulley (90mm came with mine) and that the motor SHOULD behave like this on setting 2 or 1? Hmm...I wouldn't think that the sporadic RPMs would be acceptable on any setting, though mine did seem stable up around 500rpm ("5"), like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Just how slow are you trying to run the motor? I understand running the machine at slow speeds to help learn how to sew, but turning the motor down so it barely moves completely defeats the foot treadle...
I was on a setting of 200 RPM ("2"). I figure that if they have a setting of "1" or "2",the motor ought to be able to operate on those settings. I just need to slow it way down to do some small work without having to hand crank the machine.

Funny that I reinstalled my clutch motor to use the machine yesterday and it seemed pretty easy to control, compared to just a few weeks ago, tough I was sewing huge pieces of canvas, not tiny stuff this time.

Last edited by SafeAirOne; 05-23-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,050 Posts
I agree with you Safe. Mine becomes smooth at about 400 to 500 also. If the 2 inch pulley will make it run smooth at setting 4 the machine will be running as if it is on 2. (half speed). Also with the belt off mine does not surge at any speed. The 2 inch pulley will cut the load on the motor in half which may also help. Of course Dan is right. No one can sew everything at 200 rpms nor do I when I am sewing pleats or panels together but when it comes to assembling a seat cover you absolutely have to be able to start and stop the machine with accuracy in the tight spots. I know what my capabilities are as well as my limitations. I have been sewing my own stuff for about 13 years. I have done 3 street rods, several PU trucks. Up till now, I have always used Welt because neither I nor my machine was good enough to do a good top stitch. I am hoping to change that with this new (to me) Adler. I will keep you posted on how things work out.

When you get your motor back, let us know how it does.

John L
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I agree with you Safe. Mine becomes smooth at about 400 to 500 also. If the 2 inch pulley will make it run smooth at setting 4 the machine will be running as if it is on 2. (half speed).
Where will you (or where did you) source the 50mm pulley? IIRC, these aren't your regular hardware store pulleys because of the unusual shaft diameter.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I ordered my motor from Reliable Corp in Toronto. When I spoke to tech support yesterday, they advised they had the pulley available. $6.95 plus shipping. Mine is in route UPS Ground.

John L
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I ordered my motor from Reliable Corp in Toronto. When I spoke to tech support yesterday, they advised they had the pulley available. $6.95 plus shipping.
Rats--I wish I'd have known about that before they shipped my motor the other day--I'd have had them slap one in the box for me. My motor is probably in the back of the same UPS trck as your package. Oddy, they didn't menthing about changng pulleys when I was on the phone troublesooting with Reliable.

Incidentally, there are programmable settings on the motor other than what's shown in the instruction booklet. It was while we were changing some of the 'secret' settings during troubleshooting that my controller was mortally wounded.

Last edited by SafeAirOne; 05-23-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I didn't realize you did not have the small pulley. At least the price is right. BTW the shaft is 15mm. I tried to buy one locally myself. You could by a pulley with a half inch bore and bore it out but I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

John L
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I didn't realize you did not have the small pulley. At least the price is right. BTW the shaft is 15mm. I tried to buy one locally myself. You could by a pulley with a half inch bore and bore it out but I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

15mm--Thanks. That's...19/32nds...a not-so-wildly popular drill size
Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Got my SewQuiet 5000 back from Reliable today...

OK...Got my SewQuiet 5000 back from Reliable in Toronto today. The paperwork that was with it says they fixed a wire on the fuse. That explains my problem with it going dead during troubleshooting (new fuses didn't help).

I am going to presume that my original issue of not having enough "oomph" to start the machine on the lowest settings and the sporadic changes in speed on those settings is just the way it is.

In this light, and after reading Reliable's advice to John, I ended up installing a 2 1/2" hardware store pulley with a 5/8 bore (it's just a fraction of a hair larger than the 15mm shaft, but was easily trued up using a thin...very thin...shim opposite the keyway). Now I can bring the "low" speed up into a range where the motor controller behaves when I do small, intricate work and still have plenty of room to raise the RPM so I can speed through the big stuff.

All in all, I'm still satisfied with this servo motor and knowing what I know now, would have just ordered a 30mm pulley along with the stock 90mm pulley wheel from the very beginning.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Glad to see your post. I have been playing with mine and am much more satisfied now that I am getting used to it. I have tracked the UPS shipment with my 50mm pulley. It is in Chattanooga. UPS does not deliver on Saturday, Monday is a holiday. I will get it Tuesday. Bummer. The good news is I think I could get along with out it with practice so hopefully I am going to love having it. Even though I know Dan is correct about sewing at a snails pace I will never need to run this machine wide open the way it is "geared" now.

Let us know how you do.

John L.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeAirOne
All in all, I'm still satisfied with this servo motor and knowing what I know now, would have just ordered a 30mm pulley...
er...50mm.

I rarely have the need to sew at a snail's pace, just on the small stuff. My amateurism manifests itself in the fact that I still need 2 hands to guide the material around when doing small, intricate stuff, so it's tough to hand-crank the machine and guide the material around odd shapes while maintaining a consistent offset from the edge or other stitch lines. I was well and often justified in my fear of having the machine take off across the fabric when I only wanted to put 3 or 4 stitches in on a tight turn.

I think there was a comparison between learning to sew at a very low setting and learning how to drive a car at 2 MPH in an earlier post, but the way I see it, using that clutch motor was like learning how to drive a car and having Shirley Muldowney as your driving instructor.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.