Sewing Machine Servo Motor Recommendation? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,083 Posts
Exactly. It is the tight work, corners etc, where you need to be able make the machine sew two stitches when when you need two. When you need two or three stitches an extra 6 won't work. Have you done much with the new pulley? Did it help?

JohnL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

In tight places, why wouldn't you just use the hand wheel to stitch one stitch at a time? That's how I was taught, and I still do it that way when I need to. It's not a disgrace to use the hand wheel instead of the foot treadle. The whole idea is accuracy, not speed in certain places.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I agree totally Dan

John L
Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
Have you done much with the new pulley? Did it help?
I didn't do any small work with it (the main reason I wanted the SewQuiet 5000 in the first place), but I did build the better part of a "canvas" top for the cab of my Land Rover today and the smaller pulley worked out just fine. In fact, for this job (lots of long, straight seams) it was a bit slow, though there's plenty of room left on the speed adjustment to bump it up to something more appropriate. I just didn't bother and left it on "12" the whole time.

I became pretty familiar with the behavior of the SewQuiet 5000 today, especially in the transition region between the "ramp up" speed zone and the full-speed zone. If you operate right at that threshold it tends to go back and forth between slow and fast, but it didn't take long to get used to working the treadle and having complete control. All in all, I like it. A lot.

Now all I need to do is build an extension for the front and back of my table so large pieces of PVC-coated fabric will be more manageable in the infeed and outfeed department and I'll be all set...
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Cool. Thanks for the update. If you had it set on 12 you really did have a lot more speed at your disposal. Sounds good. Looking forward to getting my pulley. I also have been playing with mine. Almost finished a cover for the machine. Installed welt around it just for grins. There is an area where I have not sewn tight enough to the welt and the threads show. I will be able to go back over it and tighten it up but was disappointed that I was going to have to "fix" it. I am using some cheap really heavy material to play with. The 1/4 inch welt foot is probably a little small for the assembly process since this material is so thick. Post us a picture when you finish.

John L
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

UPS brought my 50mm pulley today. Made all the difference in the world. Looking forward to improving my skill level. At this point the SQ5000 is doing what it is supposed to do. The rest is up to me. The pieces I have practiced sewing look good but my top stitching leaves a lot to be desired. There is nothing that looks worse than a crooked French seam. I have a rumble seat that is beckoning me as soon as I get used to this machine.

John L

PS; Dan, I am up to 15 mph but there is a curve up ahead.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You need something to aim with to get good top stitching and good French seams. The inside edge of my presser foot is what I aim with. If I maintain that aiming point along the seam line, I get a nice stitch line 1/4" away from the seam line. You also have to remember that nobody will be looking at the stitching from as close up as you are while you're sewing it. The more comfortable you get with the machine, the easier it will become.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanks Dan. I took some scrap yesterday and practiced. I am already able to do better. I know I will never be able to do the things my friend could do. In the old days when people ordered seat covers Bob assembled his welt while he sewed the cover. Do't think I will be doing that but I just love to watch a true craftsman at work whether he is a trimmer or brick mason. Thanks for the encouragement

John L
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Most experienced sewers do their welts as they assemble the work. That saves an extra stitch line in the work, which is not a big deal with cloth, but can be with vinyl, Ultraleather and leather. It's not a big deal, but it does save some time.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Just another example of the skill obtained after years of doing a job. I always loved to hang out at the shop. He made really good coffee too.

John L
Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM

I did order a consew con-serve 2001 with needle positioner and a 50mm pulley for it. I will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Cheers
MArtin
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well I just re-read this whole thread again. I was about to order the Consew servo motor but the Reliable is just too hard to beat plus it was on sale at Amazon so I ordered one. They are temporarily out of stock so I don't know when it will arrive. Soon I hope. I don't do a lot of upholstery work but it will be nice to be able to speed the learning curve.

I didn't learn to drive at 5 mph.....I think I did more burn outs and **** raising before I learned to drive sensibly..haha So now that I have successfuly sewed a finger and made a few other mistakes maybe I can slow down and do some serious learning. Sort of like putting it in drive and easing into the gas pedal instead of low gear and flooring it. haha

I'm look at doing my door panels, carpeting and trunk for starters.

Any good ideas for using the old clutch motor??? maybe a bench grinder??
Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

I just got my sew quiet SQ5000. Ordered it from ALLBRANDS.com. Took about a week to get it. The best $199 I ever spent.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings View Post
Well I just re-read this whole thread again. I was about to order the Consew servo motor but the Reliable is just too hard to beat plus it was on sale at Amazon so I ordered one. They are temporarily out of stock so I don't know when it will arrive. Soon I hope. I don't do a lot of upholstery work but it will be nice to be able to speed the learning curve.

I didn't learn to drive at 5 mph.....I think I did more burn outs and **** raising before I learned to drive sensibly..haha So now that I have successfuly sewed a finger and made a few other mistakes maybe I can slow down and do some serious learning. Sort of like putting it in drive and easing into the gas pedal instead of low gear and flooring it. haha

I'm look at doing my door panels, carpeting and trunk for starters.

Any good ideas for using the old clutch motor??? maybe a bench grinder??
Unfortunately, the clutch motor is a dinosaur. It has and had one specific purpose, which was to operate an industrial sewing machine. The infinite control electronics offers has eliminated mechanical processes as the system of choice for connecting and disconnecting a load from a motor. There are no good uses for the clutch motor now, other than holding a door open or being an extremely heavy paper weight.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I just hate it when something that operates perfectly becomes useless. Being a mechanical engineer I've scratch my head trying to come up with some use for it but I hate to admit I have no use for it either. It's not even a very good boat anchor...even free. I'll probably have to pay to have it recycled. haha

I guess the only thing I can feel good about is that I got my servo motor for $30 less than beachbum. It was on sale on Amazon.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.