Sewing questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sewing questions

I have followed all the sewing tutorials (which are great) and the questions I have are.

1. For leather bucket seats for a convertible, what is the proper size and type of thread to use. I am supposing a 5 to an inch thread count for stitching?

2. Is upholstery leather the leather you use for seats or is there an automotive leather that has some UV coating or different tanning process.

3. Is UltraSuede a manmade product and is it strong enough for the seating area on seats? OR is there a different product that works better.

Thank you for your attention
Pope

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I personally like to sew leather with size 92 polyester thread, and top stitch with 138 polyester. Polyester stands up to UV rays better than nylon. I generally sew 6 stitches to the inch, but 5 is O.K. too. Top stitching is done to taste as far as stitches per inch and the size of the thread.

You can use upholstery leather for a car interior. There are leathers that have extra UV protection put on them in the finishing process, but you will pay more for them. If you use good quality full grain aniline dyed leather and the leather you use is properly maintained, it will last a long time, UV protection or not. Good leather breathes and only needs to be wiped with a slightly damp cloth periodically.

Ultraleather and Ultrasuede are brand names for man-made products that are made of 100% polyurethane as opposed to vinyl which is made of polyvinyl chloride. Yes, Ultrasuede is perfectly suitable for seating areas. Ultraleather and Ultrasuede are used a lot in cars yachts and airplanes.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

Dan, thanks for the reply. Every answer requires a new question.

When you say topstitch, do you mean the top spool thread is 138 and the bobin thread is 92 or both are 138.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No. Topstitching is intended as a decorative element. The initial seam underneath is sewed with 92 Polyester top thread and bottom thread. Then the seam is folded to one side and sewed down again on the top side of the fabric about 3/16" away from the original seam with either the same thread or a different size top and bottom. Hence the name, "topstitching"

In the picture, the original invisible seam is above the tan visible stitching. The tan thread is the topstitching, which, in this case, is 92 polyester.

BTW, the fabric I used was black Ultraleather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	33304  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-16-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again Dan,
What is your opinion on Ultra leather. How close to real leather does it feel. Does it streach more? Is the material same thickness or thinner. Would it be easier to sew with on a standard machine?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I didn't like Ultraleather when it first came out. It stretched way too much, I couldn't see that much difference between it and vinyl, and I thought it had a slimy feel to it. Now I love it. It has improved immensely. Now I think it looks and feels almost like leather. They also solved the "slimy" problem and the stuff I use stretches very little. It makes a fabulous seat now. Real leather stretches like a bandit, but if you sew all the seat parts to sew foam, it will eliminate that problem. It is a lot thinner than real leather.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Funny thing...You have a, Read Me: Advice on How to Start a New Thread.
It wasnt what I thought it would be about. LOL

You previously told me that you like 6 stitches to an inch for topstitching, what do you use for sewing the perimeter of the blanks to hold the sewfoam down and what do you use for sewing two pieces together with an invisible seam, interms of stitches per inch.
Is a french seam where they topstitch on both sides of the seam? Is that done on double needle machine?

Many thanks
Gary

Last edited by Pope; 10-17-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I use any kind of thread, any color for the perimeter sewing, whatever I have the most of because it is not important once the pieces are sewed together. I do try to use thread that is very visible (white on black, black on white etc.) because I use the inside stitch line as an aiming point. For regular sewing I have switched from 69 nylon which is the usual to 92 polyester for everything. That thread is slightly stronger and slightly thicker than 69 nylon.

A french seam, also called a baseball stitch, is sewed on both sides of the invisible seam. When they are sewn in factories, they use a dedicated double needle machine that also feeds a piece of twill tape on the underside to strengthen the seam. You can just sew one side at a time to get the same effect, like in these pictures. The tan stuff is twill tape, and would be covering the entire back side of the french seam and sewn through from the top. This makes a super strong seam. Check out this thread for the whole process: CLICK HERE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	33331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	33332  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-17-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

I have some samples of ultrasuede coming to see color and feel. I also live very close to the company that carries all the leather from the Big 3, here in Motown. Price is only a little less for Ultra compared to leather ($4.60 vs. $5), so that is not an issue. If price were not an issue, which one is the preferred fabric.
Also, since this is a convertible, and Ultra is a form of Urethane, will the sun cause it to get soft and stretchy on hot days?

Last edited by Pope; 10-20-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If price is not an issue, then leather would be my choice. But,... working with leather is a whole different ballgame than being able to roll out a consistent 54" wide rectangular piece as long as you want it. Leather stretches, sometimes dramatically. To avoid the stretch problem, I sew all the seat pieces to sew foam. The pieces you sit on, I sew to 1/2" sew foam. The perimeter pieces I sew to 1/4" sew foam. The sun will only affect vinyl or Ultraleather as much as the backing will allow it. If whatever you use was real stretchy to begin with, which is a function of how forgiving the backing is, then the sun may allow it to stretch a little more, but not that much more. Ultraleather, being 100% polyurethane, will not be affected as much as vinyl. Whatever you do the interior with, I wouldn't let it sit out in 90 degree weather all day to get fried.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:19 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Another thing to think about... This may sound dumb at first, but all UltraLeather is the same. All leather is not the same. I use UltraLeather alot, and I use leather alot. But I am VERY picky about the leather I use. There are alot of leathers out there that are not suitable for a custom car interior (in my opinion anyway). For a custom interior, chances are you want a nice soft leather (which feels good and is easy to work with). The leather that is used in the "Big 3" cars is not soft at all. I will not use OEM type leather in a custom car interior. They use a heavy top coat on their leathers which make them very stiff. Just something to think about when purchasing leather. I have alot of customers come through my shop doors saying they purchased some leather for "a good price" or from a buddy that has connection with OEM suppliers, etc, etc. 99% of the time I have to tell them I won't use their leather because it won't turn out nicely on the seats and custom panels because its so stiff...
Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for the replys,
I have a Singer 15-91 sewing machine. It has a direct gear motor. I know it is not a walking foot machine. I does seem to be a beast interms of power. Received several samples of Ultra leather from UF in New York. Nice product, very stable and consistant, but I think leather is the way for me after comparing the two.

Last edited by Pope; 10-23-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The Singer 15-91 is a good strong machine, but it is more of a home machine. It will do well for flat seams, but will not handle the thicknesses required in some car seats, only because the lift of the foot is not as high as an industrial machine. If you are going to sew car seats, you might be better off to find an industrial compound walking foot machine.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

OK, things are starting to roll now. Bought 1yd of 1/2" 1235 Med. sew foam. Some leather pieces and #92 polyester thread. Attached the foam to the leather and started sewing. I am getting 7 1/2 stitches per inch. I am using a #18 needle but also have #22's and will play around with them also. Will keep practicing around for weeks till I feel comfortable in the production of straight lines.
I have been doing a topstitch like you showed me above, where the seating surface meets the side. Because of the thickness of the 1/2" foam, it causes a welting appearance on the topstitch side, which is not a bad thing. You showed me with ultra leather that had no foam backing and the stitching looked flat.
The machine is sewing like butterrrrrrrrrrrr. Very happy.

In all of your photos, I see you have your welting foot on. Is that the foot you use for all you seat sewing? It looks like that foot pushes all the foam down, where my general foot has an open channel down the middle.

Some thoughts on the type of sew foam number. Is that what you would use?
Thanks, I've come a long way with your help.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

1235 is good for sew foam, and is what I use. I use a welt foot for most of my flat sewing and for welts, simply because I don't want to waste time changing feet all day. When I sew car seats, I switch to a presser foot which is the same width as my welt foot, but flat on the bottom. I don't use anything but #22 needles. Yes, when you sew topstitching on 1/2" foam it would have a welting effect. Most perimeter pieces are not sewed to sew foam at all, but I sew them to 1/4" sew foam which lessens that welting effect. This also accomplishes two other things: 1) it keeps the leather, Ultraleather, or vinyl from stretching 2) it creates padding for the areas that are pulled over the frame. 7 1/2 stitches per inch is fine for fabric, but a hair too much for leather, vinyl or Ultraleather, shoot for 6. Too many stitches per inch when sewing those three can actually cut what you're sewing.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.