Hot Rod Forum banner

Sex scandal

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  BarryK 
#1 ·
The recent scandal at Boeing where the CEO was fired, I'm most curious as to what you all think.

My feeling is the following.
*One he is old and ugly, is he so stupid to think that 48 year old VP wanted him for sex?
Just on the above bases if he is that stupid he should be fired!
*I have no feelings for him at all even though now he must explain and deal with his wife and kids and grand kids, this would make for an interesting explanation at the Easter gathering.
* This is never good for any company to have an higher up boinking a subordinate as it cannot be kept a secret and and it affects both the attitudes and the work of other equals that are wondering about all the favors and perks and promotions she gets.
*The person getting porked, if promoted will never have respect from any of her equals or subordinates, so she is in effect useless.

Both of my companies, at time of hiring sign a statement that if they stick their D**k in the company inkwell, they will be fired.
This includes employees and all customers hired help. Only had to fire one about 8 years ago after found out he was porking a counter person at a customers store. By the time I found out this had been going on for 3 years, he was a great employee.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think we have become a country of hypocrites. Everyone is having sex with someone or wanting to. Women trading sex for power or money is as old as mankind. I couldn't really give a rip what the old guy was doing and with who, we're all doing it too.

We have become a nation that thrives on sensationalism, just tune in the tube and watch.

We are all tuned into sex 24/7, so everything we watch, read or hear is sexually related. Sad but true.

#3 ·
As long as it's consenual it's nobody's business where people are stickin there ____. As for the person trying to get ahead by giving it that's their moral dilemma and it will not work for long. how can you fire someone for meeting someone and having a relationship? If they don't do anything illegal that hurts the bottom line it's ok. As far as an affair that is between the offender and their spouse, as long as you don't get asked to cover. If you did that around here you would be hit with a wrongful dismissal claim so fast your head would spin. I hope there was more to it than the relationship. As for boeing they would never let the public know the whole truth behind a golden handshake. These companies are as secretive about their inner workings as the military. I'm sure this is a coincidental occurance that is a nice diversion. they have stockholders to please and any time the boss gets the heave ho the stock is on a knife edge. If the reality were a business problem stock would take a kickin whereas a personal problem shouldn't cause a sell recommendation.

#4 ·
Scandals

People get fired for poor judgement..so pick wisely if one is to get some "pork"..Harry was the one who was talking big about ethics and such..so who gets caught with his thing in the company inkwell..Oh well..

Seems the thing is the guys who yak the most are he ones who get into trouble..Read Rush Limbaugh and several others,,

OMT

#6 · (Edited)
speede5 said:
As long as it's consenual it's nobody's business where people are stickin there ____. how can you fire someone for meeting someone and having a relationship? If you did that around here you would be hit with a wrongful dismissal claim so fast your head would spin. I hope there was more to it than the relationship.
WOW!
Looks like I hit a sensitive spot.

First of all when I was having dinner with him and his wife to offer him a job, I explained for about 5 minutes why he would be fired if this happens, so it was up front and loud and clear.

Wrongful dismissal suit? Not in this country, He signed the agreement but legally I don't even need an agreement.

As long as I own the company we will have morals or you can be like him and make your own and work somewhere else.
I was best man in his wedding and today he hates me as it cost him a divorce and bankruptcy and now 8 years later he is making less than half he made a year with me.( his wife caught him and told me,"thats vengence" so the devorce had nothing to do with me) Do I feel bad? Yes for his ex wife, but he knew the rules and i think he knew his marriage vows at the time he got married. It was all within his control and he can blame no one else.

The other thing that will get you fired with me and I'm sure you will hate this one. If you lie to a customer or a painter.
I really don't care what the majors do or don't do. were taking the high road.

#7 ·
I can not agree with the theroy that it hurts no one. If you were the one going for that advancement or new position and " Linda" got it because she has a velvet throat,but was extremely less expierenced,you would be pissed.I know I would! I bust my butt every night,just to make a buck. I am not a deep rooted company man,but I give 100% and expect the same chances fopr advancement than anyone else. Rules are rules,you know them when you are hired in somewhere. You want to have sex with co-workers? Go into the Blue Movies buisness. Our company even has a policy that you may not date anyone who is in direct or indirect charge of you. If you are dating an employee and they find out,if you are in management you are demoted and shifts are changed to where you both wear seperate shifts. That is only fair. Not being mean,but if my wife worked for me,and you worked for me,who is going to get the crap jobs. Of course,that is one of the reasons why this type of action is frowned upon,by employeers and the workforce in general. Just because we live in a society that condones this does not make it right.

#8 ·
Well I'm new to the board and while reading this post I had some thoughts...To barryk I think we all could agree in principal with your company policy and your right to enforce them....what i had a problem with was your glee in being the judge and jury....your question..you are are "most"curious about what we think... and how much detail and pleasure you appear to have telling us of his punishment and suffering of his family...I have feeling for him, I'm not saying he was right, but I am not rejoicing in his misery , I feel like I have no right to rejoice in his misery... you feel good about the power to change a mans life ... guess I'm somewhere in the middle of these two extremes...I pray that I'll never fall ..fatchuk

#9 ·
Fatchuk said:
Well I'm new to the board and while reading this post I had some thoughts...To barryk I think we all could agree in principal with your company policy and your right to enforce them....what i had a problem with was your glee in being the judge and jury....your question..you are are "most"curious about what we think... and how much detail and pleasure you appear to have telling us of his punishment and suffering of his family...I have feeling for him, I'm not saying he was right, but I am not rejoicing in his misery , I feel like I have no right to rejoice in his misery... you feel good about the power to change a mans life ... guess I'm somewhere in the middle of these two extremes...I pray that I'll never fall ..fatchuk
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Sorry you got that impression, This guy was a very close friend, worked for me for about 7 years He never had to ask for a raise and was making six figures back 8 years ago. When this blew up there had been damage to the jobber and myself. Thats how all this came to light.
It was perhaps one of the toughest things I ever had to do but one person cannot be allowed to affect all the other employees of my company or the employees and owner of the jobber store.
In 20 years I have had a turnover of two people with both companies, the above and another one that caught stealing not from me but a customer.
So must not be to bad of a place to work for. Only others that left were when spouses transferred or a couple of retirements.

#10 ·
Personally, I think it's a fine line to really prove that someone is boinking someone else, unless they are doing it on the desk.

I've never had a staff that large that this type of thing would be a problem, but If I did, I think I would just make the policy thus: If subordinates of equality are "fraternizing", then so be it, but once it's permanent, then that's like family working together, and someone would have to step down. If I owned more than one facility, I would probably separate them.

The real problem with supervisors, managers, CEO's , etc boinking people beneath them is that it easily opens up your company to sexual harassment issues. We all do it, we all want to do it, but allas, there must be some restraint, otherwise we'd just have........ it would be like, France or Sweden.

Everybody has an eye for sex and it makes a good story. Just ask Michael Jackson or Kobe Bryant or Bill Clinton or Gary Hart or JFK or ...... you guys can add to the list, it's too long to write. I don't think we have the bandwidth to list it all, now has anyone seen my John Holmes super pump?, I've misplaced it.

#11 ·
I don't know the particulars concerning BarryKs situation, other than the fella was cheatin' on his wife and for some reason it caused an uproar at the other company. If it upset the business relationship I can understand.

I'll say this, I'm single and if I met a single chickie that worked for a competitor, supplier, associate with.....etc. of the company I worked for and we decided it would be fun to do some horizontal boppin' and I got canned for it 'cause someone got their delicate feathers ruffled over me gettin' laid, we'd be in court quicker than you can say "I'll boink whoever I want to and it ain't anybodys damned business", 'cause it ain't.

Larry

#12 ·
I got canned for it 'cause someone got their delicate feathers ruffled over me gettin' laid, we'd be in court quicker than you can say "I'll boink whoever I want to and it ain't anybodys damned business", 'cause it ain't.

Larry[/QUOTE]

Well, in most of the states I know of, you will never make it court because you have no case. Some companies allow but most of the major corporations today have written policy. My wife works for a fortune 500 company and its black and white and the net result is you lose.

One thing I have seen over the years is many peoples careers come to an end over something like this some I knew and some I did not.

If I was working for a company as free and available it (sex) is today I think I would do it with a non vendor or non fellow employee so if I did get caught I would only have to explain to wife and not the company.

The old saying is don't crap where you eat.

#13 · (Edited)
Don't take this the wrong way. It's not directed to you personally. It's directed at dictatorial corporate policy in general.

Policies, like those you mention, interfere with an individuals personal freedom. A written corporate policy that dictates, to corporate employees, the eligibility of a potential partner in a personal relationship...... based on the place of employment....... backed up by the threat of termination or denial of employment......is wrong.

I understand that people have a choice to say yes or no, corporations need to understand that they have no right to interfere with or influence that choice. It's just plain ridiculous to think that working stiffs can be forced to choose between gainful employment or a fulfilling personal life,
and it's wrong.

I know, it's a fine line. If an employee with access to sensitive company information enters into an adulterous relationship with a person employed by a competitor that is grounds for dismissal. You have to assume that that indivuals integrity is to be questioned and it's a justifiable decision to fire them.

If Joe Dockworker at Hoopajoop Shipping is slipping the meatwhistle to Jane Secretary at the law office of Dewey-Cheatem and Howe, does either of them deserve to be fired? No, but the loose definiton of the policies in question allow either employer to indiscriminatly terminate the employement of Joe or Jane at will for no ther reason than getting laid.

It's my opinion that these policies need to be written to require a proven danger to the prosperity and operation of the employers business to justify termination.

Ya dig,

Larry

#14 ·
For as long as I can remember, gitin' it on with the babes at work has been Taboo for some real obvious reasons. This message seemes to have slipped through the cracks here in corporate America lately. A real good example of this is when you've got no less than five single gals in the office and all the guys who've been there for a while leave 'em alone, if not for the risk of loosing a good job over it - for the fact, it just makes good sence to look for poontang elswhere.
Then it happens... The company gets busy and hires 15 newbies and within a year or two, all the single gals in the office are either hitched up or knocked up. The next thing you know, the newbies are all off on Family Medical Leave, taking care of thier new corporate rug rats, and we get to work the off shift while they're all gone. Then, just to ad a little insult to injury the office Mommies, proud that daddy works there too, drag thier little younguns off to the company piknik party, all dressed up in company T-shirts. But what really takes the cake, is when one of 'em tosses one of those little Company Bumkins up on a piknik table to change his diaper while you're trying to eat...
Don't laugh - it really happened.

I think they should fire 'em all and start over!

<end of rant>

#15 ·
I agree with you, Company Rugrat or not. Don't change a dookie diaper in front of me while I'm stuffing an already full gut with even more or mommy and her crumb-snatcher will be needing more than a diaper change.

Common sense says to stay away from women you have to work with. They ALWAYS get mad 'cause all you wanted was some booty and they will find a way to make you miserable, they have 50hrs a week to do it too. It just isn't very pleasant or productive for that matter.

Larry

#16 ·
Boy I shoulda stayed home from work tonite! This got interesting. You didn't hit a nerve I just think in most cases it's noone's business. Any time business is affected by a relationship, personality conflict, etc. than it had to be dealt with but I am surprised at how companies can come into people's bedrooms. I don't condone nor have I ever cheated on anyone so I shouldn't have a problem and I would be pretty choked if someone got a promotion over me for those reasons, where I work it is all guys and it is still a certain group that gets ahead. If you aren't part of 'the club' it's no different than being the one who doesn't 'put out'. If you can get fired for putting out maybe people should start getting fired for sucking up to the boss. ain't much can be done about that either. Anyway I'm starting to ramble... didn't mean to offend ya BarryK it sounds like your situation was pretty personal.

#17 ·
I run a small business ( an auto restoration shop)and have a few employees that work for me and my opinion is , I pay them by the hour to do a job for me and I do expect that they do the best they can for me on the job. After they leave my premise's, what they do on their own time is their own business...I do not own their life I just rent their time and skills during the hours they work for me,, My employees have worked for me more than 20 years and during that time we have had different struggles and problems but we have always been able to sort things out with different solutions for different problems...I know in my life I have had many temptations and weakness's only by the grace of God have I been able to resist "most" while I am not a religious nut I do know life has brought many circumstances to to many people who have dealt with with their weakness and are good people that just had a rough go for a time in their life for what ever reason...I still think that as I was reading your post Barryk the impression I got was that you seemed to enjoy having this power and control ...I have always respected my employees especially when they experience stuggles and get past them. I am a small company and we can be much like a family so when one of us is doing something that can hurt the family we try to work it out I would hate to loose a good employee just cause his dick got in the wrong hole....seems to me dicks have been a problem to man ever since we had em...I don't see any change in the future....But I'm glad I'm not on your payroll barryk...........fatchuk

#18 · (Edited)
I think one thing where this got of track is companies don't really care and its none of their business what you do with your personal life. As long as it does not hurt the company. If your arrested for child molestation, does it hurt your company?

I think its more a matter of what type of company you work for and your position.
A body shop setting all the above is not as big an issue.
But, what if your painting a a big fleet account and its 70% of your business and your bodyman starts something with the owners wife of the fleet company? They get caught, you stand to lose so it is your business.

I see a lot of the bigger body shops that have rules against groping at women that come in for estimates. I have been in shops where all the bodymen line up at the door to grope. It sends the wrong message.

My wife works in HR at her company and she does bonuses raises and severance pay decisions, so if she is boinking a department head this is a real issue because she may slip out how much someone else makes or how big their bonus was.

If your a buyer for a company and are boinking a vendor this is a major problem and a potential conflict.

Every business has its own unique set of circumstances to deal with.
A very complicated issue for sure.

#20 ·
Wow,some of the reponses have surprised me. So what everyone seems to say is that if your direct supervisor is hammering the hot chic who only got the job two weeks ago,is less expierenced than you and got the promotion that you should have got,that is fine? Surprising. I would be royally pissed and would not rest until I was fired, or got what I worked hard for,the boss was fired and the one on the receiving end of the " bonus" was fired. I can understand it in in a smaller company that did not really have to worry about this happening too often.I work for an extremely large global company and it is an entirely different setting there. Granted I am just a mechanic there,but a good example is there is a position open in Dallas for a Fleet Maintennce supervisor. I have my Masters ASE in diesel tech.I know the ropes of the trucking fleet system. I can outsource to the proper vendors and manage the P.O system for breakdowns. Lucy has a sweet rack,but is dumb as the day is long. My boss is with her and she gets the $80,000 a year position. Not because she is a better,more skilled worker. That is from my standpoint. I can see exactly where Barry is coming from with his view also. If the company is yours and a sex scandal breaks out,that can ruin your reputation as a outstanding company because of the things you allow to happen in your facility. That in turn causes the owners and managers and every single employee in the long run. You as an owner now have to regroup and get the trust of your clients AND employees back. If it does not sink your buisness, because you are too small to rebound. Than you and X amount of employees are unemployeed and trying to make home payments ,car payments,loss of medical benefits for your family. There is alot on the line to loose if you examine the whole scenerio. If there is a written policy on this procedure where you work at,than you should have no leg to stand on. Would I gloat about it? No,but I do not think he is really gloating about it but simply asking questions about a written policy that was blatantly ignored.

#21 ·
Like I said, if a relationship could create a serious problem then the people involved should be aware of the consequences and avoid it. If they don't then they have to deal with the result.

I'm not privy to any sensitive information in my position, should I be fired or forced to to end a relationship someone if they got a job with a competitor? Should she have to make the same choice?

Greater responsibility = greater liability and those few with that responsibility accept that as a part of being in positions of great importance and should behave accordingly.

Bleh, This kind of BS is the reason I intend to retire in Mexico. I can ride a horse down the street, ride motorcycles in the desert, light up fireworks, hotrod my car and boink any chickie that'll let me without a permit from my boss or any government interference. I don't need or want a nanny.

Larry

#22 ·
I've glazed over a bunch of the responses here. I think my eyes are bleeding, by the way. :rolleyes:

FWIW:
1.) If the company has a policy in force BEFORE you were hired, you accepted those terms prior to cashing your first check. So, basically, YOU ACCEPTED the terms. No one forces you to work anywhere. It the rules of employment.

2.) The guy that stands to lose the most, makes the rules. You boink the customers daughter, and the Boss loses that customer, you are only out of a job. He is out all the business with associated revenue. Remember that this is a small world. Word travels fast. You end up losing MUCH more business than you would think.

3.) With the population of this planet, its not hard to find a partner to hop in bed with.

4.) Any discord among employees hurts productivity. If they are all wrapped up in personal issues, they can't focus on work. Its bad enough when they work apart, but when they work together, they tend to try to bone each other (in the OTHER way!)

#23 ·
I see a lot of the bigger body shops that have rules against groping at women that come in for estimates
Did you mean to say gaping or ogling? I'm fairly sure that a "grope" is covered by a little more than company policy.

I'm not privy to any sensitive information in my position, should I be fired or forced to to end a relationship someone if they got a job with a competitor? Should she have to make the same choice?
Greater responsibility = greater liability and those few with that responsibility accept that as a part of being in positions of great importance and should behave accordingly.
I agree with this totally. If I am (hypothetically) dating someone, and they get hired by my company's direct competitor, there should not be anyone who can force me to alter or end my relationship. Politics, be it corporate or government, has no place in the bedrooms of John (Jane) Q. Public.

#24 ·
if your gona play your gona pay...somehow!!

Dude lost his J-O-B for playin and gettin caught....gettin caught was HIS BIG mistake!!! Gotta be smart about these things and have limitations as to who and where and watch out whos lookin and who cares!!! Soon to be X-wives and X-boy friends will get ya busted!! Shoulda woulda coulda and this guy is out on the street and his honey...what happened to the honey???

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.