SG 100 HOK intercoat clear, any tips for dry pearl? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 05:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SG 100 HOK intercoat clear, any tips for dry pearl?

A friend of mine wants to paint his Corrado, he wants to achieve a very dark violete pearl color, we saw the HOK catalog and it shows some violet dry pearl that can be shot over black base with intercoat clear and it will give the desired effect he's looking for, thing is I'm a newbie at this, I've only sprayed one car and it turned out really nice but it was just a regular BC/CC job, now my question is..... how hard is it to spray the dry pearl in the intercoat clear? is it akin to doing a kandy job where the whole lenght of the car has to be 'walked' as to avoid mottling or striping problems?.... or can I paint the bumper and maybe the hood separetely but at the same time than the rest of the body and still make it look nice and even?

I'm sure I'll have to shoot some of this mixture for practice and to settle on the right amount of dry pearl to be added to the SG clear, he bought two 2oz little jars of dry pearl and two quarts of SG-100, I think mixed 1:1 would give us an sprayable galon of the stuff. more than enough for the car I hope. Sorry for making this too looooong, any tips would be great please =).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Need some more info.
Are you repainting it black or is it black now?
I assume you are pearling the whole vehicle?
Inter coat clear HAS to be cleared over with a UV type clear coat.So, You planning on a total reclear of the vehicle after pearl/inter coat?

I'd consider using a Shimrin Pearl Base Coat (PBC) in the color you desire.
LOT'S easier on a complete and the coverage is a lot easier to achieve than a complete "just pearl" in clear. Yes, it's akin to shooting a Kandy,but not quite as hard. Just have to be consistant with the coverage and MIX. Which I would do in 1 container to keep it consistant.
If it's black now,just do a regular clear coat/pearl and be happy. Trade the inter coat for some regular clear.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:51 PM

well the reason we thought about dry pearl is that we can vary the 'effect' of the color depending on how much pearl we mix with the SG-100. Yes we are aware that we need to finish the job with regular UV clear, the car will need some very minor body work, we will have to work on it and do the whole 2k primer surfacer,sealer,black basecoat,SG 100 with the pearl in it and regular UV clear in that order.

But maybe you are right, we kinda are asking for trouble since we don't have any real spraying experience, I think I might have to enlist the help of a painter and let him do the job and hope to learn from him, Im a vw mechanic by trade but this paint stuff the more I get exposed to it the more I like.

Im using a Sharpe Platinum with a 1.5 tip and recently ordered a Walcom GEO FX 97 but haven't arrived yet, I also have a 'cheap' Accuspray Performax 1.8 tip
for the primer.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:56 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Just my opinion, but if you are going to use the HOK dry pearl ( which I have used allot of ) you will come out better using the intercoat.. With each layer of regular clear you will build lots and lots of film thickness.... way too much to get the color if you don't load up the pearl.. Since you are very new to this I would not recommend loading up your clear with pearl since this will increase the likelihood of problems greatly.... The intercoat IMO allows the light to penetrate and get the look you are after...

I have done this both ways, unfortunately even after 2 years of curing the job I did with just clear was too easy to chip ... It was like the paint never really dried like it should..... Now with intercoat I have not had the same problems...

The first time I used pearl in clear it took 6 coats to get the color I was after and then 2 coats of clear to seal it up..... Way too much clear.....

Just some food for thought.

Matthew
Old 07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

You got to start someplace. Right?

Quote:
we will have to work on it and do the whole 2k primer surfacer,sealer,black basecoat,SG 100 with the pearl in it and regular UV clear in that order.
That will work great.
Inter coat is basically another base coat(s). It's thin and spray's like base and as Matt said, Dosen't build like regular clear so more coats are an option to get it right on the effect without serious cure issues.
Be sure to allow proper flash time between coats so you don't end up with the same problem as you are stacking layers with the inter coat.

Pearl coats can be done many way's and depending on how much effect your after can dictate the way. I do pearls in the clear all the time, BUT, It's a light effect instead of a heavy one which I guess your after. People who don't paint will usually go light on the mix and have to apply several coats to get the effect they want,which is a cheap Kameleon. Pearl is ment to enhance not color.
Good luck with it and YOU can do it IF you want to. Most of us started with a "friends" car and unfortunately, painting is VERY addictive.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 PM

Thanks a million for the helpful tips and encouragement, need a good dose of that for sure, I think we will go 'light' on the pearl and try to stick with four or five coats of intercoat clear, oh by the way my friend bought the paint from a local jobber and instead of getting the HOK reducer for the SG-100 they gave him a Matrix brand reducer, they 'claim' is compatible but I think I will advice my friend to go back and get the reducer from HOK, I don't wan't to take any chances with material compatibility and such, hopefully whenever it is we start the paint project I'll try to post something up, we just finished swapping a 2 liter 16V engine there and cooking up a turbo set up for it =). nothing like having a car that SHINES but can GO as well.

thanks again guys
Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
unfortunately, painting is VERY addictive.
Until its your job and you have to do it more then you want to do it, or the days when everything seems to go wrong. Even then most times I liked painted. I don't paint everyday any more and it is fun again, except paying for materials. There are a lot of things waiting to bite you in the arse though if you are not carefull, or skip or rush steps.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

i recommend putting it in the intercoat but there is another option that will work and make it easier to get an even finish for a beginner. mix the violet pearl into the black base. pearls show up pretty well in black base and when you spray you dont have to worry about an uneven finish. the pearl will be exactly the same over the whole car. if you want to see what it will look like mix up a little black in a cup, reduce it and add a little pearl. pull the mixing stick out of the cup and look at it in the sunlight and you will get a general idea of strength. once you get it close spray a test panel.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Jim, Is this true with any black or just HOK?
I have done a couple of black/pearl mix's and it does work,The effect was hardly noticeable except in direct sunlight. This was with older alky enamel's though. I know HOK's black is a "tinting" type black and is not as opaque(?) as some other's. Or am I way off here?
Mike.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:42 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Bump for the HOK base
Old 08-01-2005, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

i've done it with probably atleast 4 different black bases and it works in all of them. dont get me wrong, it does mute the effect a little so you need to add more pearl than you would normally with an intercoat but in the end the effect is the same. trick is to look at the mixing stick in the sun or spraybooth light, it will give you a basic idea of the concentration and how visible the pearl will be. hok has their blackpearl lineup which is really nothing more than a mix of their black base and some of thier pearls. i've tried it in other colors besides black and sometimes it works and somtimes it doesn't. had this lime green once and i must have put half a jar in about 6oz of base and couldn't see anything.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.