Hot Rod Forum banner

Shaker scoop mounting

17K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bigdog7373 
#1 ·
On my 78 firebird I've bought just about everything to make it a trans am. Only thing i won't be doing is the engine and trans. Its just a 350 chevy under the hood. The only thing i haven't bought is the shaker scoop because i'm unsure about what i should do with it. I was thinking that i would cut the hole in the hood to the correct dimensions, but i want to round off the edges so it wont look unfinished.
Also i dont know how i should go about mounting the scoop. Yea, it would be cool to actually have it engine mounted, but it won't matter from outside. So i was thinking that i would just mount it to the hood. I guess it doesnt really matter since its not a real trans am anyway. But on the other hand i don't want to seem lazy by not building something to mount it to the engine.
I just need opinions on those 2 things really.
1. How to finish the edges on the hole for the scoop
2. Mounting the scoop.

Thanks guys!:thumbup:

#4 ·
I mounted a shaker scoop to a '81 Camaro hood (had a 455 Pontiac engine in it). I made a cardboard template from a friend's T/A hood opening, then positioned the hole to match up w/the Edelbrock intake and Holley carb. I used a jig saw w/a metal blade, the bracing on the underside of the hood wasn't that hard to cut but it took some finessing to get the bracing cut back away from the hole on the underside so you couldn't see it from above. You'll see what I mean once you get your hole cut.

Anyway, I used push-on trim to finish the cut edge of the hood. There are many types and styles of this kind of trim- I used some that a buddy had left over. An example is shown below- click on image for info. It actually turned out quite nice looking and solved the problem of rolling/finishing the edges of the steel hood.

As mentioned, there are 305 shaker scoop assemblies- personally I'm not that wild about the style of them, at least as compared to the early scoops that are less angular (which is what I used). And be aware they are all made for a Q-jet carb.

Some scoops can be seen at Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am shaker scoops.

In my case, because I only had the scoop w/o the base assembly, I mounted the scoop to the hood (so I had no shaker- but the whole car shook anyway). I used fiberglass to make a piece that was attached to the air cleaner base to seal the filter element to the underside of the hood w/foam rubber so the scoop only pulled in outside air and not the hot underhood air (this set-up used no air cleaner lid). I used a piece of expanded metal mesh to cover the opening.

#6 ·
You basically screw it to the bracing. As you know, it goes in from the underside of the hood, you'll center it to the hole and level it side to side and front to back. This might take some shimming w/some foam, etc. between the scoop and hood.

The scoop could be trimmed to make it more symmetrical as seen when the hood is open (one side is squared, the other rounded). I didn't trim mine, though, so the scoop could be used as a shaker again some day.

#7 ·
Real shaker scoop

What was done was to cut a piece of 1/8 aluminum to match the base of the scoop..then the center of the plate was bored to match the intake manifold and the bolt pattern so the plate was put in place and the carb was then mounted. We used a couple of long studs to fasten the scoop so it could be easily removed to access the carb and linkage..Linkage for the carb was handled with a cable up through a slot in the plate..Now that you have the general idea it is up to you to figure out the details of your particular installation..

Sam

#9 ·
Years ago I bought a 78 trans am without an engine or transmission. Swapped in a 350/350 combo from my beater 75 camaro. Had a performer intake and a quadrajet and ran pretty good for a stock long block. put the original shaker set up on there with a few adjustment & fit fine. Loved that car.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.