Shall I Trust My Engine Analyzer ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 07:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shall I Trust My Engine Analyzer ??

I always do my calculation manually to build engines !! i just tried the Engine Analyzer Pro v3.3 & Drag Racing Pro v2.0 ..

i was shocked when i saw the following :
383 , hyd 305 cam , Vector JR & 750 DP , World 200cc heads & 12.2 CR. 110 fuel .. 350 TH Transmission , 3500 Stall - 3.73 rear end .
Doing 11.81 ET in reality & in the software .

VS

Blown 406 . Lunati blower cam , same heads , 8.5 CR same fuel , same drivetrain - Doing 12.81 ET !!!

what makes so confused is the first engine i build and tested was performing exactly the same result in the software , but how it is possible that a better engine witch is the second do worse !!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 10:18 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You just got lucky that your actual engine performed close to the software. There are lots of variables! If your reaction time is better or worse, for instance, your time won't be that close to the analyzer. Software like that is usually "tuned" to match the least common denominator, which is a small block Chevy. So if you plug in an SBC build, it will be closest to it. They have to use something to base the model on. It will work for other engines, as all internal combustion four stroke engines do the same thing, but it won't be as close.

So what's it good for? Plug in your engine using stock parameters and see what the analyzer reports. That's your base line. Now plug in modifications. you can now see APPROXIMATELY how much power you should gain (but not exactly). Change something like the cam, and it will let you know what the approximate results will be. So you can use it when making decisions as to what changes to make, but it's not going to be 100% accurate. It's usually not even that close when building an SBC -- you just got lucky!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:45 AM

First I'd like to respond to farna's post. Reaction time and E.T. are two separate measured events. I can sit at the tree and stare at a green bulb until hell freezes over twice and not impact my e.t. whatsoever.

Now to the blown 406. I cant tell what the lobe profiles are or the over/under drive the blower is running at but I am pretty confident that I can make a blown 406 put out 1200+ h.p. on gas.

I'd play with the software a little and change lobe profiles/ and blower drive.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

Farna , i was thinking the same as you said those software’s is good for changing between parts or selection of slightly contrastive items , like 2 cam duration but maintaining equal lift.

i had to make sure its right .

56Maynard , you are right about the 406 but im not sure i got your point ?

here is something about what you said .. a 15 psi Turbocharger would rate the engine to 800 lb/ft and 565 HP , on the other hand same engine with 30 psi Root will only reach 550 lb/ft - 480 HP..
Old 11-08-2005, 04:42 AM

Last photo:

Just on software, go to 4 different cam companies and plug in the same data. Do you get the same cam? It's like newspapers, only believe what you can see and touch.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRiordan
Just on software, go to 4 different cam companies and plug in the same data. Do you get the same cam? It's like newspapers, only believe what you can see and touch.
well.... instead of buying what you have doubt in its better you have something to depend on ..

like the first 383 combination , i wanna increase the power without exceeding the Street Car drag class . what shall i buy ,, that’s exactly the benefits you'll get.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.