Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   sharpe finex 3000 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sharpe-finex-3000-a-227502.html)

monster76 12-23-2012 07:05 PM

sharpe finex 3000

i just bought a brand new sharpe finex 3000 for $85 with tax was thinking it was pretty good deal the local paint jobber is closing down and it was the last paint gun they had any one have any experience with these guns i was gonna try it out with my mustang when i painted it, it has a 1.3 mm tip

mitmaks 12-23-2012 09:06 PM

It is a good deal. I have Finex 2000 and they spray great for under $100

monster76 12-23-2012 09:57 PM

cool deal just what i wanted to hear

tech69 12-24-2012 01:15 AM

I use it as a primer gun with a 1.7. Works great for Urethanes and PCL Poly primer. Not so great with Featherfill and don't think it will even spray Slicksand, but then again I don't ask the primer to do all the work for me. I would think it's ok for painting but nothing special. For primer I think it's awesome.

69 widetrack 12-24-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster76 (Post 1626329)
i just bought a brand new sharpe finex 3000 for $85 with tax was thinking it was pretty good deal the local paint jobber is closing down and it was the last paint gun they had any one have any experience with these guns i was gonna try it out with my mustang when i painted it, it has a 1.3 mm tip

The price is right, no doubt...I have one and as Tech 69 mentioned, he uses his, with a larger tip for a primer gun...I now use mine as a primer gun as well...The gun will work and will do a respectable job for you, I, however, do prefer other guns...That's not to say that the Sharpe won't work with base and clear and I know a few painters that swear by it....for me, I prefer the Sata, Iwata and the (old school) Devilbus GTI....The GTI especially for heavier bodied clear coats.

Give your Sharpe a try...and if it works for you, that's great, everybody paints differently...if it doesn't, get a larger tip and you have an amazing primer gun.

Hope this helps
Ray

monster76 12-24-2012 02:16 PM

well ill let you guys know how it turns out when i try it but time hasn't been plentyful lately im eager to paint the car though..

Northstar T 12-24-2012 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been using a Finex 300, which is the predecessor of the 3000, for several years now. I use it for everything from Epoxy primer to bc/cc to single stage. the last one was my 64 Vette, which is single stage with 30% clear mixed in. I may buy a better gun one of these days, but keep asking myself…… why?

Russ

tech69 12-24-2012 10:30 PM

atomization is why. Less peel, less sanding, more UV protection.

mr4speed 12-26-2012 12:45 PM

I am gonna have to side with Russ on this one as to "why". I don't have a finex 3000 gun, but I do have a sharpe platinum that I have been using for base and clear for about 8 years now. Just change the cap out from a 2000 (base) to a 3000 (clears) and has been a really good gun for all around spraying even spray the SPI epoxy with this one as well. I purchased a sharpe titanium CGTI clearing gun a long time ago (years) and it is still in the box, I have never even tried a test spray with it in all these years. Why not you may ask, and the answer is the platinum gets the job done just fine, as I will always cut and buff everything anyway so I am not too concerned about a slight bit of peel where I will cut it anyhow, and where I don't such as jambs or cowls they lay down very nice out of the gun anyway. Now I only paint overalls maybe 3 or 4 cars a year, so I am not spraying everyday like a pro would be (in the booth on a daily basis) so the need for a sata or iwata or such really don't see the cost too justify it for my needs, as I would probably love it none the less. The point is that everyone has a certain spraying technique they develop over the years working with certain guns that others would probably would not even consider using, and if it works just fine for your situation than so be it. So I can honastley understand Russ's comment as to " I may buy a better gun some day, but why " .