Hot Rod Forum banner

shave or recess door handles?

973 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  americanLT1 
#1 ·
I already bought a spal shaved door kit and welded the old handle holes in my 59 rambler doors but. I discovered that I will not be able to run this car at the local drag strip without external access to open the door. Just wondering if any of you have installed late model recessed door handles on older cars and how you did it. Would I need the sheet metal around the handle to make it work?

#2 ·
americanLT1 said:
I already bought a spal shaved door kit and welded the old handle holes in my 59 rambler doors but. I discovered that I will not be able to run this car at the local drag strip without external access to open the door. Just wondering if any of you have installed late model recessed door handles on older cars and how you did it. Would I need the sheet metal around the handle to make it work?
I wouldn't use the sheet metal pocket from a newer car - just the handle and fabricate your own pocket.

Reason being the makeup of the metal alloys in newer cars is different and gauge thickness of the metals differ.

Do you know if this requirement is because of the tracks main sanctioning body (NHRA, IHRA...) or a local track rule?

I think it makes perfect sense to require outer door access for rescue workers though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.