Shaved Door Handle Kit - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2003, 07:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had a Honda Civic on the hoist today and the door handles looked exactly like the ones that are on the El Camino , I think it was about a 92 or so . The one good thing that can come from the ricers are there door handles and mirrors.

Now for a question . I am considering shaved handles on my next project and was thinking about using the factory keyless entry system from a '98 or so chevy , and what I wanted to know is where do I locate the module or whatever it is that operates it ? Is it under the dash ? My bosses brother owns a truck wrecking yard here and I can get it from there but when I asked him about it he did not know where they were located , he had never had a request for the assembly . Thanks .

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 03:26 AM

i'm not sure but i think the keyless entry/immobiliser/alarm system on many new cars is an integral part of the ECU...

it's not something you can take off by itself, i don't think.

been wrong before though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2003, 02:47 PM
grimmey slimey lowrider

door "popper" modules can be added to the system simply by bypassing the door lock system wiring and placing the modlue under the hood, or in the trunk. One guy I know put it actualy INSIDE his door on the driver side. It worked great..... wntill it froze up and he couldn't get into his car to pop the hood to jump start his car LOL.

FWIW, put it under the hood, and put 2 leads running some where that you can add additional power to it. ie: front air dam or fenderwell when you need a "jump start" when the car battery is dead.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:43 PM

wondering about a certain brand of popper

I am looking at an Accelle popper kit.. They are 45 pound poppers and i was just wondering if this kit is reliable or not. Thanks
Old 03-19-2005, 12:08 AM

hey, im new and have questions about this whole shaved keyless entry deal. in a few weeks I am buying a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Sedan DeVille (4 - door). I am entertaining the idea of shaving the handles, as I will have to re-paint the car anyway, and i figure I should hack it up BEFORE i paint, rather than after. it seems that there are alot of different ways to do the shaving idea, and I would LIKE to do it by mechanical means, rather than electric, and also try to do it without spending a fortune and a half. however that may be nessecary. I don't want to fit newer handles, if anything, I'd want to fit some old '40's door handles. the ones where the whole handle is kinda curved and attatches at the end and the whole thing turns, acting like a door-knob of sorts. but, i'd still rather have the shaved look, I think. I would like to not have to mess with a remote, i'd like to be able to have the doors operate individually by a latch on the door itself somehow. The car is a pillarless hardtop, so it would look very nice with no handles or tricked out ones. actually, my mind goes back to the 1940's idea, come to think of it. actually, that would look really cool. anyway, if there is any way of doing either, and someone could suggust a good method of doing it, I'd appreciate it very much. My income is rather small right now, so i'd like to stay away from expensive marketed electronic stuff. not that it would be much of a problem actually installing, its just that the car is only $160. i don't want to put too much money into it. it needs other stuff, too. like upper a - arm bushings. at least the front has a lowered look, cause it sags. a true, original "lowrider". sad, i should go to bed. thanks for any info to follow.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:23 AM

Lets get back to door poppers, I have some I got from autoloc when I did my doors,91chev truck ,doors are heavy, wont push open, anyone know of some real heavy duty ones, thanks Doc
Old 04-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

Where did you mount your poppers? I have installed Autoloc's doorpoppers and shaved doorhandles on several early to mid 90's Chevy trucks and the only vehicle I had a problem with was a 95 Suburban where I had to basically custom rig one up. Poppers are really simple enough and you probably only need a little more travel and a heavier duty spring. A visit to a hardware store or home improvement center should help you find enough stuff in the door hardware dept that should do it for you

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.