Hot Rod Forum banner

Shaved doors and actuators

5K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
Hello fellow rodders,

First let me apologize if I post this incorrectly or in the wrong section. I have been searching and reading past posts, but not finding the info I am looking for.

I have a 74 f100 and am to the point in the project where I will be choosing some equipment and would like some advice as this is my first shaved handle project. Which company should I buy my equipment from? Do I want remote control or hidden switches or both? I just want to get this right the first time so I am looking for opinions from those with experience. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Hi Witty,

I shaved my 01 S10 last year and I have both a key chain remote and a hidden button. This way if I cant find my keys or have locked them inside my truck I can still open the doors.

My solenoids run through what amounts to an alarm brain, I have one that sets the alarm and will remotely lock the doors at different intervals, 30, 60, and 90 seconds. I can also set it to manual lock, lock when the key is turned in the ignition, etc.

I went through Suicide Doors to get a kit that included everything, poppers, remotes, solenoids, brain, and the panels to weld in.

I am not sure if they still carry the kit but they may, I do know they are great guys to work with and talk to. They may even put a kit together just for your needs.

Here is basically what my kit looked like, it did include the weld panels that are a "trim/custom fit" application.

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/shav-doorkit-2.htm

#4 ·
thanks for the reply! on the 01 s10, is it safe to assume you already had power locks? I am trying to decide if I even need door lock funtions anymore. Had any trouble with that kit? I am deathly afraid of putting all this time in, having whatever kit I choose work great in the shop, only to get it all painted and out for fun and then start having troubles.

#5 ·
I installed the electric door locks, the truck was a bsae model, so I am lucky to have window cranks lol, I am looking into installing power windows in the future.

The kit that I bought did have a dead "brain" They insisted it was not the brain but after many tests thats what it was. They explained to me that it is possible but very rare, I suppose anything is this way, I have bought bad relays for my 69 Nova straight from the auto parts... I was told it was a one in a million thing and that everything was covered, including return shipping!!

I put everything together on my bench with a mock up door panel thta i use for these types of things and wired, and routed everything before the final install.

Once it was installed no problems at all, it has been installed since Jan of 09. I have locked my keys in a gew times, I am one of those peopel, my doors lock after 60 seconds if the key isnt in the "on" position.

My remote located button works great for these instances, I read a long time ago where a trim panel screw location was used to locate the button.

Basicly they "slotted" the top of the button to look like the trim screw mounted it in the trim in an existing hole. They installer used 3M trim adhesive tape to attach the trim. looked very slick, unfortunatly I have no trim so that wasnt an option, mine is mounted in the trim piece of my drivers door mirror, the button is black so it blends in and it looks like a fastener.

This also helps hide it as many people "lean" on their mirrors when they talk to others or use it as a hand rest when peeking into the window.

Another thing with the Suicide doors guys is they work on their rides themselves and deal with the same little road blocks or speep bumps tht ayou and I would.

#8 ·
Hhehehehe, inside the doors :thumbup:

Power locks in my case are a convience, I can walk away and know that my truck will lock and the alarm sets after 60 seconds.

Having a "key" on the outside can also serve as your outside button in case (as I do often) you lock the keys inside. There is a spare door key someplace on the truck, not behind the bumper or gas door...lol

You can have them as they are now, unlock and lock or the cylinders can be replaced and wired as lock actuators. On the interior, some alarms such as mine can be programmed to lock when the truck is started. In the event of a power failure such as in an accident you can unlock the doors manually.

#9 ·
Yes, Im starting to see that I have more choices to make prior to making a decision. I had always planned a power window upgrade, but I am thinking I should think about power lock and alarm upgrade as well. Seems I can get a processor unit that will handle the door lock, solenoids, alarm, and functions to be added at a later date if so desired. Oh, and about the key....I contemplated that but as of two days ago I welded the panels in where the door handle and lockset go. No going back now. :thumbup:

#10 ·
witty73 said:
boy do I feel like an idiot, just watched two short vids on you tube and solenoids go INSIDE the door. Duh...lol So now my next greenie question. What advantage are power locks, or even locks at all once you have installed the solenoids?
witty
i had no choice but to install my solinoids on the outside of my doors.
the window glass in a 58 truk is too close to the door skin to put them inside.
i hid my solinoids under door panels (under construction)

as for power locks? no handles, no locks.
my 'lock' button on my remote only sets the alarm

#11 ·
ogre said:
witty
i had no choice but to install my solinoids on the outside of my doors.
the window glass in a 58 truk is too close to the door skin to put them inside.
i hid my solinoids under door panels (under construction)

as for power locks? no handles, no locks.
my 'lock' button on my remote only sets the alarm

You can run them on the inside, You have to use the small cable in mount them low inside the bottom of the door.. ;)

And if you have no outside handle's, No need to lock it.. :mwink:

#12 ·
I am leaning towards no locks, power window conversion, and an alarm/controller with some open "channels" capable of controlling other things down the road if decide to. I have read about having them installed inside or out, depending on room, etc. Now I just need to decide who's stuff I want to buy. I have no experience, the autoloc products look nice, however the info on the Electric Life website claims you should use their kits because solenoids are far superior to actuators. Any thoughts? Also, thanks again everybody for your advice and input. I literally poured over 100's of pages last night and finally at about midnight went to bed with a headache. Im sure when it is all said and done, I will laugh at myself, but right now I am just trying to make an informed decision. :confused:

#14 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
I like autoloc.. :thumbup:
autoloc has good solinoids, lousy website...
i have the 50# solinoids on my truck, a little over kill for all new latches
there is a definite cer-chunk when the door unlatches
an alarm installer friend of mine said to stay away from their remotes

any alarm system will have interlocks for door solinoids.
i am changing my hookup this winter.
remote in pocket, lean over table and go outside to find my door open :nono:

i looked at puting my solinoids in the bottom of my door.
used 06 durango power window regulators with one piece glass
have less than 1/4'' clearance to my regulators and offset from my latch
would have had to use 2 pivots and cables to keep them inside my doors
or run the cable on the outside of the door
by puting them outside the door, i have 8'' of cable on a straight pull

#16 ·
witty73 said:
..., what are you going to change?
i have the galaxy 2000 alarm with programable remotes
going to change it so i don't come out to find my door open
change to a shift function to unlatch

plus now i have pass door on trunk release
added 2 trunk latches and need one remote operational

i also picked up an expansion module to unlatch the other latch and maybe more..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.