Shaving bumper bolts. What's the proper method? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 11:23 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shaving bumper bolts. What's the proper method?

A friend tried it once and eventually got fine cracks around the old hole position. Is there more to it than cutting the heads off and welding them flush?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

They had this on Trucks the other day. I think on the copperhead project?? What they did as I remember it.

1. Make sure all surfaces to be welded are all clean of rust and contaminents. This would include an area larger than the washer inside the bumper.

2. Put a bumper bolt through the bumper and place a washer on the bolt inside the bumper. You may have to bend the washer so it sits flush to the inside of the bumper. Tac the washer onto the inside of the bumper.

3. Cut head off bumper bolt leaving square part to fit the hole in the bumper.

4. Place carrige bolt just under flush with the bumper, so you can fill the depression with weld, and tac it in.

5. Weld the bolt to the washer inside the the bumper.

6. Finish welding around the washer inside the bumper.

7. Finish welding the bold to the outside of the bumper, and grind smooth.

8. Repeat.

The washer adds strength around the bolt, so the bolt should not deform the bumper.

Welding the bolt below the bumper surface gives more weld surface so when you smooth it it still has plenty of metal, and more strength.

I have not used this method but it makes sense, and would probably prevent those cracks you mentioned by distributing the force of the bolt, and more weld to hold the bolt.

Hope that helps. If anyone else has some methods chime in, or correct me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Magnus. I could see how that washer would help.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

My question with regards to welding the bolt to the washer on the inside of the bumper is : How do you then get the bumper bracket to sit nice and flush against the bumper or inthis case against the washer? Do you have to enlarge the hole in the bracket to allow it to slip over the weld?
Old 04-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

That is a good question, but depending on how big the weld is you may need to open the hole in the mount a little bit, or grind down the welds a little if they are excessive. As I said this is a method I have yet to try. Saw it on TV, but it seemed to cover the concerns of the bolt pulling out, or cracking free by giving more surface area, and multiple weld points to distribute the stress.

I suppose the best source of info on this would be the show Trucks. I just emailed the show on their info email for printed directions or a link to them on the web.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

The weld would be ground smooth. The bumper would be moved out the thickness of the washer and weld but there should be more than adequate adjustment in most bumper brackets to adjust for this.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I think the reason for the washer is only to "set the depth" of the bolt in the bumper for welding thru the hole. The weld holding the washer to the bolt wouldn't have to be much at all. Just a light tack is all it would take. Later the washer could even be removed if you wanted. It is not doing a single thing once the bolt is welded in, you don't even need it.

The trick is to get FULL penatration when welding of the end of the bolt to the bumper. If you cut the head of the bolt off (you don't even need a bumper bolt for that matter) and hold the bolt somehow (this is where the washer helps) so it is just about half the way thru the bumper. If you bevel the edge of the hole, and the bolt is down in the hole half the thickness (about 3/32") and you weld a nice hot weld STARTING ON THE BOLT to ensure good penatration before moving up onto the edge of the hole that bolt is going no where and won't crack.

One thing you want to do is fit the bumper to the brackets so it perfectly mates. If when you tighten the bolts it forces the bracket to twist into shape or the bumper to twist or what ever, THAT can cause you problems if you haven't welded perfect, it can add to failure.

Brian
Old 04-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I've always welded them on the outside with no washer. And bolted to the car where they go. Never had one crack yet.

Troy

Last edited by troy-curt; 04-17-2005 at 07:54 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.