View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 05:00 AM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

shaving handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquest
Well I took a closer look at my 'screwup' last night. Turns out the whole area where the door handle was is now sunk 1/8" into the door! No matter what I do, I can't bang it out either! I really screwed up this one. I refuse to fill an 1/8" area with bondo on the viewable body of this car, not after all the hard work I put into it already. I think I am going to scrap the door. I hate to do it because this is a completely rust free door. However, the car in which this door came from was in an accident once before and it put a slight twist to the full door frame. So it also doesn't line up perfectly on my car, it is close but not perfect.

I have another rust free door stored at a friends house. I think I am going to start over on it, now that I learned something. Only bad thing is that I won't be able to pick up the new door until Thanksgiving.

Any thought to just leaving the shaved panels in tack welds rather than fully welding it up? With my welding ability, there is no way around a skim coat of bondo anyway, I just don't want to risk warping another door this bad again.

kev
I I am an amateur at this body work stuff, but I have shaved side markers on 2 of my 71 chevy trucks,and doors on both trucks and on 2 of my S1o trucks. I cut the filler pieces close to the correct size and welded them in small tacks, working gradually across the patch[one side then the other. AS far as having a problem with filling a 1/8 deep area with bondo My God man thats what they make the stuff for.