she just dosent understand - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 AM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

she just dosent understand

well my sister has a 68 mustang. Boy does it need work! the paint is chipping off all over the body, it has the original rear suspension aside from the shock, the front springs are the wrong ones they sit the front end to high (about 1 1/2 inches to high). the steering has lots of play feels like its driven on a ball at 45mph. the only good things about this car is that the interior, engine tranny and rear end is in very good condition. she wanting to get some of it fix so she can drive it daily. but what she doesnt realize is that things dont happen over night and ive been trying to tell her that but she just doesnt want to realize that. ive been trying to talk her into letting me do the body work on it to stop all the rust from getting worse. every time i talk to her about it she hates the idea of driven a primmer car (because she cant afford a good paint job.) so i tell her whats worse??? a primmed car or a rusting car. she says she knows but still doest allow me to work on it.

then the suspension. she asked me today how much it would be to make it a daily driver. so i said first go with leaf springs shackles etc. then for the front coils. at least do that then in the next couple of paydays buy the shocks and sway bars and your good. daily driver right there! but so how she found a flaw in that plan! i just dont know how to get it through to her that dream cars dont happen overnight. for the past 4yrs ive been rebuilding a 73 firebird for my mom and it only has suspension and primmer on it. no wires no windows no nothing just suspension and primmer. and i told her all that. she starts saying that it will take hers at least a year to finish it (meaning the car is done completely.) i didnt even bother telling her it will take a few years to get it completely done.

so how can i keep reassuring her that it just takes baby steps??? because im out of ways to tell her. she finds flaws in everything. makes me wonder why she bought the car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 04:04 AM

She dont understand

Welcome to the world of woman, dont get me started but I stil love them. We all have our idiosyncrousies I sugest you let it go in one ear and out the other start panelbeating your sisters car without telling her steal it if you have to, then it will be to late for her and youl have to carry on panelbeating it. Youve got great patience because as soon as some one undermines me when your trying to help I give up on them. Hope it works out.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Take her to a meet. Let her see the cars and talk to the people who built them. Let her hear the stories of the years and money spent. Maybe she needs to hear it from other people how much work is involved with building a good, safe car. Too many people see Boyd do it in 6 weeks and think that is the way it is. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

if your talking baby steps why are you going to change the whole rear suspention? just concentrate on it being safe to drive. fixing the steering should be the first priority if shes strapped for cash then just cut a coil off the front spring to get it level

getting it running right is the first priority the car has been slowly rusting for 41 years another year or so wont make that much difference

good luck talking her into it!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:31 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
Take her to a meet. Let her see the cars and talk to the people who built them. Let her hear the stories of the years and money spent. Maybe she needs to hear it from other people how much work is involved with building a good, safe car. Too many people see Boyd do it in 6 weeks and think that is the way it is. Good luck.
OR.......

Tuff love tell her to take it to a repair shop @ $80 per hour to get some swinging Richard to do a really 1/2 arsed job that she will have to pay again to have fixed right ,by you & then all the "I told u so's" you'll have on her.

Lightly smacker in the head & say this in not on TV !

This is real life Bewitched it not here !

We can't just wiggle our little nose & the world is right .

And

Tell her this.
It takes years & years to build something & make it right ...It only takes a few seconds for some DUMB ARSE to FUBAR it.

MOST Women just Don't get it!

Last night I made my wife clean the A/C filters they were clogged almost solid the poor unit was about to suck it's self inside out got her right after dinner!!

Then after we were done 45 Min's later I said see that took 45 min with 2 people 1.5 hours {its a weird set up & in a tight spot} so now all these little "honey do's" add up & the A/C will work better & save energy.

Maybe she got it I dunno

Next on my list is to have he mow the lawn with a push mower

YUP the Mow , Blow ,Wack ....

Rutine.every week when it rains get boring ,hell its so dry here I wait until it has rained.

As long as no one tips her off to this thread LOL

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by helrazr3
if your talking baby steps why are you going to change the whole rear suspention? just concentrate on it being safe to drive. fixing the steering should be the first priority if shes strapped for cash then just cut a coil off the front spring to get it level

getting it running right is the first priority the car has been slowly rusting for 41 years another year or so wont make that much difference

good luck talking her into it!!!
i have to rebuild the rear suspension first. the leaf springs are nearly flat there is only 2 inches of travel.

cutting springs is one thing i wont do it messes with the spring rate. plus i just know my sis would go off on saying ... now my cars being done the cheapy way thats not what i want. trust me. like ive said she finds flaws in EVERYTHING !!!

the body can wait a bit longer but its breaking my heart watching it rust. even tho im a chevy guy it still breaks my heart.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

You could take it away to work on it. When she asks where it is just say that the crew from "Over Haulin'" took it and she reuined the surprise. After a few days, when she begins to get suspicious, just say that the show is taped in California (where the car is) and it doesn't really take a week to do the cars. Explain it as "that's Hollywood".

Then do a quick fix on some things and return it saying the show got canceled before they could finish it.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You could take it away to work on it. When she asks where it is just say that the crew from "Over Haulin'" took it and she reuined the surprise. After a few days, when she begins to get suspicious, just say that the show is taped in California (where the car is) and it doesn't really take a week to do the cars. Explain it as "that's Hollywood".

Then do a quick fix on some things and return it saying the show got canceled before they could finish it.

lol if only it was that easy.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hire a repo man, tow it to your shop/garage, fix the importang things, have it given back to her with an apology that they took the wrong car.

Mike
Old 06-09-2007, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Hire a repo man, tow it to your shop/garage, fix the importang things, have it given back to her with an apology that they took the wrong car.

Mike

thats not a half bad idea i just might arrange that
Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

these pics are some of the body problems...

pic 1) the drivers door is off alignment and is hitting the fender every time you open the door.

pic 2) this is the back window the paint as you can see is chipping off. its happening all around the window. and in the corners where the rust is the worst... i believe it has rusted through to the trunk just enough to cause water to puddle up every wash or rainy day.

pic 3) not only is the paint chipping off here but the trim is being taped on because the clip to hold it broke a long time ago but thats not a big deal in her mind...

pic 4) the previous owner would always slam the hod on the rod for the air cleaner (thats just my guess tho i could be wrong) and then where the paint is splitting is bad bondo work that just decided to crack up on day.

pic 5) on the passenger door rust is bubbling up the paint a i just know there are hole forming there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 002.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	21776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 003.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	21777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 006.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	21779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 001.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	21780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 004.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	21781  

Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Do you have a shot of the whole car, because that just looks like it may just need some TLC. It's not near as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

not right now ill get one up soon tho. it doesnt need a lot of work but its got tons of little spots that need help.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Do you have a shot of the whole car, because that just looks like it may just need some TLC. It's not near as bad as I thought it would be.
sooner then i though... here ya go. can see any of the spots im talking about. all of what im talking about are finger nail size and smaller chips and rust spots nothing big just a ton of little spots all over the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 007.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	21783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 008.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	21784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 010.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	21786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine 009.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	21787  
Old 06-09-2007, 08:29 PM
65 crusier man

WOW That is a beatiful car and will be gorgeous when complete. Now about your sister. She finds fault in everything That figures but I wholly agree with taking her to car meet or show some women are just NOT car people and they need a lot of convincing years maybe! If the car shows don't work tell her to enroll in the local college and take the auto repair course; that may just jog her into reality. My friends in high school used to laugh at me for taking months to rebuild an engine never mind the whole car.
Just another quick story, My neighbor is 70+ and his wife is NOT a car person, He just bought a slc 600 MB v12 sports car and man its a rocket. She cant stand to ride in it and gives him grief as often as possible but the dude just lets her talk then gets in the car and goes.
Best of luck to you and If you find another ride like that let me know my wife IS a mustang junkie.
Joe

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.