Hot Rod Forum banner

sheet metal bending brake: buy or fabricate?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  NEW INTERIORS 
#1 ·
I would like to have a metal brake. I already have a 3' one but I would like to have a 5' one. Way more versatile.

If anyone here has built their own, how much can I expect to pay for the material? I'm trying to decide if it's worth making it, or just spend the extra money and get a new one. I've seen some for around $1000, which seems a little steep.

#4 ·
I bend 5/16 easy with it
How long a piece of 5/16 do you bend?
Is this like an angle iron lower with a square tube that mashes the metal into it? I'm not seeing how this works other than smashing the metal to be bent into the lower. If bending less than 90° how is the bend, crisp or rounded? Could you bend a piece and show how it works with after pics of the bend?

#5 · (Edited)
cboy said:
Hot dang that thing looks stout Randy. But then I guess it has to be to bend 5/16 ths.

Can you describe the compressed air addition? Does that totally drive the hydraulic cylinder or is it a booster type setup. (Obviously I'm not familiar with how these things are put together.)
Cboy..You can sure use one of these.The jack is air over hyd.I bought it at HF..it was on sale for about $70.00 ..This one is only 32'' wide.I wanted to make it 48'' wide.But at the time,I didn't have enough iron.But will make it one day.But this thing come's in handy.I use it almost everyday.You can use the air,Or you can pump it.Great tool to have..I also have a roller me and speedy made..It is 48-1/4'' wide..Another great tool to have.. :thumbup:

Attachments

#6 ·
Deez said:
How long a piece of 5/16 do you bend?
Is this like an angle iron lower with a square tube that mashes the metal into it? I'm not seeing how this works other than smashing the metal to be bent into the lower. If bending less than 90� how is the bend, crisp or rounded? Could you bend a piece and show how it works with after pics of the bend?

I only had a piece 12'' long.But it sure can handle more.Yes it has angle iron on the bottom.When I want a crisp bend.I drop in two flat bars into the angle.The top I did put a square bar,You don't need to do that,All you have to do,Is grind the top plate to a nice sharp edge.When I make the next one 48'',I will make it where I can change the top blade.Just don't know when I will have time to do it.This one is working to good for now.. :) Here's some pics.I had a piece of 12 gage laying around.

Attachments

#7 ·
NI - That's a nice looking brake. Nice workmanship.

The brake I'm after is to bend thinner sheet metal to make rocker panels and other parts. Still haven't narrowed it down.

What welding method would be the best for building a brake? I've got a smaller Lincoln 110V mig I use for auto body, and I've cranked it up high to weld a safety chain to my trailer with what appeared to be good penetration. I also have my dad's old arc welder but I haven't arc welded since shop class in grade 8. Would the mig do?

#8 ·
pigjamelectric said:
NI - That's a nice looking brake. Nice workmanship.

The brake I'm after is to bend thinner sheet metal to make rocker panels and other parts. Still haven't narrowed it down.

What welding method would be the best for building a brake? I've got a smaller Lincoln 110V mig I use for auto body, and I've cranked it up high to weld a safety chain to my trailer with what appeared to be good penetration. I also have my dad's old arc welder but I haven't arc welded since shop class in grade 8. Would the mig do?
Thanks... :thumbup: I welded mine with a MIG.I only use a MIG in my shop.I have a Lincoln 220.I sold my stick machine,Years ago.The only down side about my brake,Is it isn't 48'' wide.But I will make one that wide one day soon,to match my roller. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.