Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sheet metal welding questions
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
I've had some success shrinking oil can spots using my dimpled hammer and dolly, but they do not leave the metal silky smooth by any means. I ended up cutting this piece out for other reasons unrelated to the hammer and dolly work.
If you have an oil can problem on a roof or any panel with body lines...I like to take a body hammer and a block of wood. Place the wood on the side of the panel and tap the wood with your hammer...your actually putting strength back into the panel and then the panel can be metal worked using a hammer and dolly. If you still have a low spot on the panel, your "waffle Hammer" will expand the metal and remove the low spot by tapping around the low spot. If I have a high spot I use a regular body hammer and dolly...always glancing the hammer in an outward direction around the high spot. In effect your moving the metal away from the high spot and giving it no choice but to straighten out.

I hope I explained this in a way that's understandable...this may be one of those things where hands on showing would be more helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (12-13-2012)