Shelby Clone - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shelby Clone

I have spent a couple days searching the forums for imformation and can not find the answer im looking for. I have a 67 Mustang Convertable that i would like to change into a Shelby Clone. My question is who makes the best closest fitting parts to accomplish my transformation? I have seen parts everywhere on the internet with a wide range of prices. Would i be better off with parts that have the mounting hardware installed or would i be better off to fit the parts and install the hardware after rough fitting? Im not a pro by any means but im a pretty fair novice, dont want to build something that will not look right. Any opinions will be most appreciated.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Parts fit ?

When I was an engineer at Ford I worked Hands On with Marv Runyon on the Prototype California Mustangs which used the Shelby parts and the pieces were very poor fitting, require a lot of rework to get a good fit,

Last edited by timothale; 10-22-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 39 Buick View Post
I have spent a couple days searching the forums for imformation and can not find the answer im looking for. I have a 67 Mustang Convertable that i would like to change into a Shelby Clone. My question is who makes the best closest fitting parts to accomplish my transformation? I have seen parts everywhere on the internet with a wide range of prices. Would i be better off with parts that have the mounting hardware installed or would i be better off to fit the parts and install the hardware after rough fitting? Im not a pro by any means but im a pretty fair novice, dont want to build something that will not look right. Any opinions will be most appreciated.

Mike
I haven't ever done a Shelby clone but, I am now and have in the past required to clone several other vehicles for customers. You are right, every after market clone parts supplier claim to have the ideal part for your project. In the past I have contacted suppliers to see if any of these parts are "manufacturer approved" and had respectable results (Carroll Shelby signed many clones through the years) . In today's world you are more fortunate than I was 15 -10 and even 5 years ago. Try "Googling" something like SHELBY APPROVED PARTS or CARROLL SHELBY APPROVED PARTS and see and take it from there. Carroll Shelby is not a bad reference, still, call the supplier and ask for more references, if they don't have any or refuse to give you references consider it "strike one". Your spending hard earned cash and it is your right to ask questions and get well informed before you lay out the money, don't be shy, Jesus doesn't reward a coward.

I'm working on a major project at the moment, I haven't put out a dollar yet but I have spent over 100 hours researching parts and suppliers. I'm also a firm believer in not generally buying the cheapest... I'd sooner pay the extra and get ease of installation and better fit and finish.

The fellow who posted before me is correct, when these cars where first built fit and finish left a lot to be desired. This may be one case where the after market, years later has come up with better clone parts than the original in 1967.

Good luck and good hunting.

Ray
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
I have to tell you, I have done a few Shelby's and made a clone using all original Shelby parts (1969) and I found them to fit pretty good, at least compared to AM parts I have tried. By todays standards, oh heck yes they sucked, but in the day, comparing it to other vehicles of the day, they weren't too bad if you ask me.

Brian
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Tony Branda is your best bet for Shelby parts...

Tony D. Branda 1965-73 Mustang Parts 1965-70 Shelby Parts & Accessories
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Tony Branda is your best bet for Shelby parts...

Tony D. Branda 1965-73 Mustang Parts 1965-70 Shelby Parts & Accessories
I am doing a resto-mod on a '65 Coupe and am doing a lot of research on this and have heard great things about Tony Branda. I just ordered floor pans from them so I will keep you informed on how big of a project it will be to get them to fit!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

I was getting parts from this place in the 70s, they are still around. This would be my choice. Maier Racing Enterprises - Suspension Fiberglass - Hayward, CA 94541

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.