Shelby hi rise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 10:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shelby hi rise

I am currently runnung a 1966 origional hi rise on my 289. I took it off to clean it and have the underside ceramic coated. I noticed two things that I questioned. The first is that there is a heat sheild looking plate on the underside that is held on by four rivets. This plate is evenly loose(about 1/32 gap). I was wondering if it was supposed to be loose, if it is not then how does it tighten. Also during the process I noticed that in small letters on the underside is stamped with the Offenhauser logo. Did Offy make these for Shelby or what is the deal with that?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Remove the cover by prying up on the studs, they are held in with a short helix that "bites" into the casting. This is just a heat shield to prevent oil from cooking on the bottom of the manifold, that heat riser gets hot. There is likely a bit of crud trapped underneath that you can clean up.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:42 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Question

Where did you source the intake? Does it have SHELBY or COBRA cast onto the top?

The pan underneath is a splash shield designed to keep motor oil from adhering underneath the intake and hardening, resulting in drawing engine heat into it. It should not be loose. The rivets are simply pressed in. You might trying to gently tap them back in and see if they will hold the tension. If not, you might want to remove them, tap the bores and insert capscrews with Loctite. I would even go so far as to Heli-Coil the holes.

Anyway you can take some quality digital photos of the top and where it is stamped OFFY? SHELBY later sold accessory items such as intakes and wheels. I had no idea OFFY was a source.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

The numbers on the intake are S2MS942A. It came on a 66 Mustang GT once owned by Travis Carter. It has some rare items such as HiPo heads that were done by Holman Moody as well as the cam. The intake has COBRA in solid letters cast on it. I can try to post pictures of it. I did just get the rivets out , the info helped, but as for why it has Offenhauser stamped on it I do not know.

The numbers on the intake are S2MS942A. It came on a 66 Mustang GT once owned by Travis Carter. It has some rare items such as HiPo heads that were done by Holman Moody as well as the cam. The intake has COBRA in solid letters cast on it. I can try to post pictures of it. I did just get the rivets out , the info helped, but as for why it has Offenhauser stamped on it I do not know.

Last edited by RJL; 04-26-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:10 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally posted by RJL

The numbers on the intake are S2MS942A.
S2MS 9425 A (correct?) Along with the firing order?

Quote:
...why it has Offenhauser stamped on it I do not know.
OFFY must (may) have been the origional vendor for SHELBY. I have never come across this before. Photos would be appreciated before you put it back together.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

Yes those numbers are correct. It also has FIREING ORDER 15426378. It will be a day or so for the pics.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.